(warning, jumping to recipe can result in missing important information including alternative ingredients and tips. Also, as an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases made via the links on this website.)
This Easy Apple Pie Twists Recipe is perfect for fall snacking on.
I like that this recipe is made with apples too!
Easy Apple Pie Twists Recipe
This is a puff pastry recipe that is easy to make.
You can serve this for snacks, desserts, or even make for holiday baking!
Did you try my recipe for Crescent Dough Pumpkin Pie Twists?
That recipe for pumpkin pie twists is similar to this one only it is made with pumpkin and crescent roll dough.
This recipe is made with apples and puff pastry dough.
This recipe calls for anise. You can find star anise here.
This recipe is for anyone wondering what to do with lots of eating apples.
I know all about enjoying apple picking season only to have a lot of apple on hand.
It is a good thing that there are so many things that you can do with apples besides eat them.
Apple pie is possibly the most popular or famous apple recipe around.
However, making an apple pie is can take a bit of time.
This recipe gives us a great apple pie taste but, with less effort in my opinion.
You may be wondering what is twist in cooking and baking.
There is a popular trend to make food that is twisted.
This is because it is so easy to do and also twisted food is usually fun to eat.
Twisting refers to simply twisting a food just before baking or cooking it.
Think of pretzel twists or bread sticks for example.
When it comes to twisted apple pie puffs, we are simply going to put the apple pie inside of the puffs before twisting and baking them.
Tips for making puff pasty desserts.
Puff pastry can be sticky to work with.
I like to dust my work area with a bit of flour before working with the puff pastry to help keep the pastry from sticking to my surface.
More tips for you
- I like to use a good baking apple to make recipes such as this one. Granny Smith, Jonagold, Honeycrisp, and Winesap are good choices.
- Lemon juice can help maintain the color of the apples. One to two teaspoons are really all that you need to add if you decide to add lemon juice.
- These twists should be baked until the turn golden brown. They can be served warm or cool.
Personalize your apple pie twists.
This is really a tasty apple recipe just as it is.
However, you can make it even better.
Try one of these ideas.
- Add some chopped walnuts or other nuts to your pie mixture for flavor and crunch.
- Bake your twists with a glaze made using an egg combined with a tablespoon or two of cinnamon sugar.
- Sub in another fruit such as pears for part of the apples.
Be sure to follow DIYandFUN on Facebook and on Pinterest.
I also have a weekly newsletter that you can subscribe to.
↓(Keep Scrolling to Continue Reading)↓
You may also be interested in these ideas.
About this apple twist recipe.
These twists can be served alone as a tasty dessert or snack.
Or, you can serve them with an icing dip on this side.
How to store the apple twists.
This recipe can be made ahead of time. Simply freeze the twists before baking them and then once you are ready to eat take directly from the freezer to the oven for baking.
Ingredients needed to make apple twists.
- Apples- 2 ½ cups grated.
- Apple Sauce- ½ cup.
- Vanilla extract- 1 teaspoon.
- Brown Sugar- ½ cup.
- Ground Cinnamon- 1 teaspoon.
- Star Anise- 1 teaspoon.
- Puff Pastry- 1 package.
- Heavy Cream- 2 tablespoons.
How to make Easy Apple Pie Twists Recipe
Step One: prepare.
Grate the apples if they have not been grated yet.
Use a firmer apple for best results. Simply wash the apple and dry it. You can remove the skin if desired.
Then use a grater or food processor to carefully grate the apples.
Thaw the puff pastry according to the packaging. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Step Two: prepare the twists.
Lay the puff pastry on a work surface or parchment paper dusted with a small amount of flour.
Cut the pastry into 16 rectangles of equal size.
Make the pie mixture. In a mixing bowl bowl combine the grated apples, applesauce, vanilla extract, brown sugar, cinnamon and star anise.
Spread one tablespoon of apple pie mix over the first pastry puff rectangle and then top it with another puff pastry rectangle. Cut into thin strips, around 4 per rectangle and twist. Then place each twist on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all of the puff pastry has been used.
Step Three: bake.
Brush each puff twist with heavy cream.
Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve with icing, dip, melted butter, anything you like, or all by themselves!
My twists have icing drizzled on them.
Easy Apple Pie Twists Recipe, a simple fall inspired dessert or treat recipe made with apples and puff pastry.
Easy Apple Pie Twists Recipe
- 2 ½ cups Apples
- ½ cup Apple Sauce
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Star Anise
- 1 Puff Pastry
- 2 tbsp Heavy Cream
- Grate the apples if they have not been grated yet. Use a firmer apple for best results. Simply wash the apple and dry it. Then use a grater or food processor to carefully grate the apples.Thaw the puff pastry according to the packaging. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Lay the puff pastry on a work surface or parchment paper dusted with a small amount of flour. Cut the pastry into 16 rectangles of equal size.Make the pie mixture. In a mixing bowl bowl combine the grated apples, applesauce, vanilla extract, brown sugar, cinnamon and star anise.Spread one tablespoon of apple pie mix over the first pastry puff rectangle and then top it with another puff pastry rectangle. Cut into thin strips, around 4 per rectangle and twist. Then place each twist on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all of the puff pastry has been used. Brush each puff twist with heavy cream. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!