Essential Campfire Cooking Equipment that people something forget to pack.
This is a listing of essential items that campers most commonly use when it comes to meals.
Essential Campfire Cooking Equipment
This listing includes items from food prep to actually eating the food.
You may be surprised at how much items used for camping kitchens may differ from the items in your own kitchen.
Did you read my Family Camping Essentials Checklist
That checklist has many of the items included in this article.
However, this article also has more items that are specific to meal prep and eating.
There is actually food that is pre-packaged that is specifically for camping or for emergency use (like weather outages etc). You can find pre-packaged food for camping here.
This article is especially for anyone asking what do I need for a camping kitchen.
A camping kitchen is the area where you prepare for your meals while camping. This can be as simple as a portable table to a larger camping kitchen set up.
Your needs are what determine the size kitchen that you need while camping.
That is, if you are camping just overnight, you can probably get away with a simple fold up table. However, if you are taking your family on a weeklong camping trip, you should probably think about something larger.
What goes into a camping kitchen?
Think of your camping kitchen as your kitchen away from your kitchen (at home). A camping kitchen is thus, as smaller version of your home kitchen.
How do you pack for a camping kitchen?
A camping kitchen is a combination of essentials that are needed for meals and a fight for maximizing the space that you have. That is, you bring only what is essential and determine how to get it packed as space is valuable on about any trip.
Tips for packing for a camping trip.
Start by making a meal plan of everything that you will be eating while on the entire camping trip itself. This includes snacks, desserts, and food for travel.
After you have your meals planned, you can decide on the cookware needed for preparing that food.
- Campfire needs such as metal grate.
- Cookware such as Pots and Pans.
- Items needed for prep work.
- Flatware and knives for eating.
- Extra items- for desserts, clean up, to use with other items, and special use.
Useful items used for cooking on a campfire.
Sometimes you will camp at locations that include a fire pit or a grill of some sort. Other times all you will get is a dirt area.
Here are some ideas for how to cook on a fire.
- A basic campfire grill or grate is a very useful item as it allows you to cook with pans and more. Select one that can easily be folded up and stored with your camping gear.
- A portable stove can serve as an additional or alternative way to heat food up.
- Lastly, a portable kitchen can be a lot of help from a location for a portable stove to sit on to a place for food prep.
Be sure to follow DIYandFUN on Facebook and on Pinterest.
I also have a weekly newsletter that you can subscribe to.
↓(Keep Scrolling to Continue Reading)↓
You may also be interested in these ideas.
Campfire cookware such as pots and pans.
Starting a fire to cook your food is really the first step in getting that food cooked. Actually cooking the food comes next.
Here are some popular cookware items used while camping.
- Disposable or reusable aluminum pans are hugely popular for cooking everything from lasagne to s'more nachos over a campfire. Plus, there is the added convenience of preparing the food at home in the container and cooking it over the same container.
- Dutch ovens with good handles that can hang over the fire when needed are also popular.
- Camping cookware sets are made up with commonly used items for cooking that are also stacked for easy storage.
- If you are someone who needs that cup(s) of coffee, there are campfire coffee pots too.
What to use to prep camping food.
I mentioned above that there is a portable camping kitchen available. That portable kitchen comes with space to do do that food prep stuff too.
Here are some more ideas for food prep while camping.
- For some people it may be a good idea to simple invest in a camping essentials kit. These kits are not only filled with most everything needed to prep and cook while camping, they also are a home for storing those ites too.
- Extra long tongs are helpful especially when there is a large fire.
- Basic knife set that does not need sharpening.
- Collapsible bowls are helpful for storage of food that your prepared ahead of time or leftovers your trip.
- Can openers and similar items to get into your cans etc.
- Cutting boards that are easy to store and clean. Look for dual purpose items such as cutting boards that can be extended into something else or mat cutting boards.
Flatware and other items used for eating while camping.
Many campers will use disposable flatware, cups, plates, and bowl. However, there are those of use who prefer to use reusable items only.
Here are some items that can be used for eating food while camping.
- Camping specific utensils that may have a dual purpose (sporks etc) or come in easy to pack sets.
- Rimmed stainless steel plates that can be used in a variety of ways.
- Prepackaged bowls and plates for camping that may also have storage in mind.
- Lastly, collapsible camping meal items that offer both easy storage and multiple options.
Do not forget to pack these items as need for your camping trip.
- Napkins, potholders, and towels.
- Camping sink, such as a collapsible one..
- Marshmallow roasting sticks.
- Dish soap.
- Garbage bags.
- Prep knives, spoons, ladles, a collapsible dish drainer, and cutting boards that can be easily cleaned.
- Cooking Gear such as easily packable pots and pans.
- For your Camping stoves, do not forget the propane or butane.
- Matches, lighters and similar items for campfires.
- Water (possibly the one thing you can never have enough of).
- Food, especially the nonperishable kind.
- Do not forget the can openers too!
Water and clean up items for camping trips..
Bringing bottled water is always a good idea for most any kind of a trip. If you plan on using a campground water source, you may need to sterilize it first. This can be done by simply boiling the water or bring a portable water filter.
Items needed for a clean-up. This includes plastic garbage bags and rope or clothesline to hoist the bag into the air will help to keep animals from helping themselves to your refuse. Bring plenty of paper towels, dish soap, a dishcloth or sponge and rags or old towels, and possibly a bucket if items need to soak.
How to pack cookware for a camping trip.
Seasoned campers know that the easiest way to pack kitchen related items is to use a dedicated storage container that only gets used on camping trips. I prefer to use a clear container if possible to make it easier to locate items.
Packing the items in the container can take a few tries.
Since space is limited, you will need to be efficient with your use of space. That is, pack items inside of items and be creative by packing multiple use items.
Essential Campfire Cooking Equipment, a basic guide for campers, what to pack for cooking and dining while on a camping trip.