Fun Camping Activities that Kids Like can be hard to find.
However, the good news there are a lot of fun activities that can most everyone can agree upon.
Fun Camping Activities that Kids Like
This is a listing of fun activities that kids actually enjoy doing.
While not everything in this listing is perfect for everyone, with over 50 ideas, there should be something agreeable.
Did you read The Beginners Guide to Camping?
That guide includes some great ideas for that special camping trip.
I like that there are some ideas that are essential yet, often overlooked (such as what to pack!).
Keep the tools that you use for family activities organized. You can find storage containers that are perfect for camping here.
This listing is especially for anyone asking what can you do with kids while camping.
There is certainly more to camping besides sleeping in a tent and roasting marshmallows. While those activities may be what first comes to mind when people think of camping, there are many other things to do.
Camping also means being with nature.
This is a great time for everyone to enjoy nature as a family. It is also a great time for resting between activities while still having a nice time.
What are good camping activities?
When it comes to camping activities for families, the good ones are the activities that everyone enjoys doing. These are the activities that can also bring families together with memoires.
Good camping activities can include both activities done in nature and activities around the campsite.
Yes, sitting around a campfire may be the best thing to come out of a family camping trip. However, hiking and seeing nature are also good activities.
Tips for planning fun family activities.
Plan a list of possible activities for your trip before your trip. A good way to do this is to get everyone involved with suggesting and choosing activity ideas for the camping trip. Also, keep the items needed for activities in a storage container that can go camping with you again in the future or be used at home.
Here are categories for family camping activities.
- Nature Activities for Families- activities that include getting out and observing nature. Perfect for hiking too!
- Collecting Items- this is about appreciating pinecones, rocks, and more from nature.
- Creative ideas that include the mind. These activities are perfect for those moments when everyone wants to relax around a campsite.
- Campsite activities- fun things to do close to your campsite.
- Family Fun Ideas- these activities are great for family time anywhere including on a getaway trip.
Nature Related camping activities for families.
These ideas can be done while on a hike, a short walk, or even at the campsite. They can be helpful for understanding nature and the environment.
Here are some nature activity ideas.
- Scavenger hunt for unusual rocks.
- Look for animal footprints.
- Make nature rubbings.
- Or, make friendship sticks to give to someone.
- Birdwatching using binoculars.
- Use the trail map provided from the site to choose somewhere to visit.
- Magnifying glass observation of bugs or bark for example.
- Investigate trees that have fallen and discuss how they may have come down.
- Make a nature journal using simple writing paper.
- Identify trees using a book for reference.
- Make nature jewelry using flowers, bark, or other items from nature.
- Make a campsite rock garden using rocks that you find.
- Use a compass to find out where you are located or going to.
- Use a walking stick that you find on the ground.
↓(Keep Scrolling to Continue Reading)↓
You may also be interested in these ideas.
Collecting items found on a trail or campground.
These items are probably best when found on the ground rather than removing them. These collections can be left behind when you leave or stored in a container such as a box.
Ideas of what to collect.
- Twigs for the fire.
- Seashells if at the beach.
- Small Rocks
- Pretty Leaves.
Creative ideas for the mind.
- Storytelling using made up stories.
- Make a nature scrapbook.
- Draw pictures of your view.
- Play charades with a camping theme.
- Camping themed I spy
- Make crafts using items that have been used or found in nature such as plastic bottles or flowers.
- Chalk art.
- Dirt or sand art by using a stick to draw pictures in the sand or dirt.
Around the campsite.
These activities are centered around spending time on the campsite. Many of these ideas are perfect for the campfire too!
Here are the campsite ideas.
- Campsite scavenger hunt with hidden items or common items.
- Help clean up the campsite area. You can divide into teams to do this or do it as individuals.
- Assist with the food prep or setting the table.
- Choose songs to sing.
- Story telling where everyone gets to make up a chapter.
- Watch the stars.
- Use flashlights or laser pointers to play tag.
- Use a glow in the dark beach ball to play volleyball or catch.
- Camping bingo.
- Blow bubbles.
- Glow in the dark miniature golf.
- Squirt toy water fun .
- Balloon fight (with rules)
- Glow in the dark frisbee throwing competition
- Or boomerang glow in the dark.
- Tell Camping Jokes.
- Read Campfire stories.
- Make up camping related songs by changing the words from popular tunes.
- Play Campfire Would You Rather.
Family Fun camping ideas.
These ideas are specifically for spending time together as a family. While they are nice ideas for camping, some of these may also work at home in your backyard too.
- Find and Seek Scavenger Hunt Game.
- Ring Toss Game.
- Paddle Ball Toss.
- Collapsible and Portable Cornhole toss.
- Walkie Talkie for Kids.
- Outdoor Explorer Kit.
- Rocket Launching for Kids.
- Camp Inspired Crafts.
- Outdoor Chess and Checkers.
- Horseshoe toss.
Download Camping Bingo Cards-->Camping Bingo for kids.
Download Camping Scavenger Hunt Cards--> Camping scavenger hunt for kids.