How to make a Fairy Garden as part of your garden and imagination.
I like that these gardens can be so much fun to make and look at!
How to make a Fairy Garden
Fairy gardens are a whimsical addition to any yard.
However, you can also make a fairy garden to enjoy indoors.
Did you see my article about Easy DIY Upcycle Garden Ideas?
That article shows ideas on turning used items into garden ideas.
Many of those upcycled garden ideas could work with your fairy garden!
There are so many ways to customize a fairy garden. You can find fairy garden accessories or sets to help you here.
You may be wondering what is a fairy garden.
There may be more than one definition of what a fairy garden actually is.
This is because a fairy garden is really a garden inspired by the imagination.
Fairy gardens are usually miniature gardens.
These gardens can be in a container such as a pot or outdoors in your yard.
What all fairy gardens have in common is that they are inspired by the imagination and may sometimes even have a fairy in them.
People ask what is the point of a fairy garden.
Well, some folks will say that the purpose of a fairy garden is to have a garden for fairies.
However, if you do not believe in fairies, think of these gardens as miniature gardens that are full of imagination.
A fairy garden does not have to be a garden with real plants.
It can be made with artificial plants or no plants at all.
Some folks just use pretty rocks in their fairy garden (confused? remember what I said about "imagination").
Tips for making a fun garden.
Decide if you want your garden to be an indoor garden or an outdoor garden.
An indoor garden can be in a simple container while an outdoor garden can be in a container or as part of your actual garden.
More tips for you
- Fill your garden with miniature fairy garden accessories. There are plenty that you can purchase or you can find items that work around your home.
- Have a focal point such as a large rock or a birdhouse. You can make a pond or use tiles to make a path to lead to the focal point.
- A fairy garden can be a small part of your own garden to add a bit of whimsy. Add lights to the garden to make it more noticeable.
- Fairy gardens are a really nice idea for children. They can design and decorate their own area which can be good for their development.
- Inexpensive items can often be found at dollar stores, garden centers, or even garage sales.
How to Personalize a garden for imagination.
A fairy garden is really about fantasy.
You can tell a story with your garden or simply display interesting items.
Here is how to personalize your garden.
- Add something that is a reflection of you or something that you do.
- Paint rocks for your garden in your favorite colors.
- Display your name somewhere in your garden.
Be sure to follow DIYandFUN on Facebook and on Pinterest.
I also have a weekly newsletter that you can subscribe to.
↓(Keep Scrolling to Continue Reading)↓
You may also be interested in these ideas.
Making a garden with or for children.
Making a fairy garden for or with children can be a rewarding idea.
A fairy garden is a great way to inspire a child.
Here are some tips for making a fairy garden for children.
- Allow the child to help design or construct the garden.
- Make the garden somewhere that a child can play and move things around- like they would with a dollhouse.
- Focus the fairy garden on a favorite story, movie, or even book .
- Allow the child to add some of their favorite items to the garden such as a small doll or toy.
- If your fairy garden is outdoors, remember to be mindful of weather considerations.
How to make a Fairy Garden
Step One: prepare a location.
A fairy garden can be in an enclosed location such as a container or terra cotta pot.
This location can be something that can be easily moved such as from indoors to outdoors.
An outdoor location can be in your garden, on a rock, or even on a tree stump.
This location is not movable and is thus, can be weather affected.
When selecting a location for your garden, take into consideration plants or other items that are there already and that can become part of your fairy garden if even as a backdrop.
Prepare the location with the floor or the ground that everything else will be placed upon.
This can be pebbles or dirt for example.
Step Two: select a focal point.
This focal point for this fun garden is what the viewer will see first.
Make your focal point the center of attention.
A focal point can be:
- Something larger, such as a large rock or tree stump.
- The star attraction such as a fairy itself.
- A house or structure.
Place the focal point in a location that can be built around with the other items in your garden.
Step Three: add the remaining parts of your fairy garden.
The remaining items that you add to your fairy garden help to tell the story.
They can be:
- Shiny and colorful items that add sparkle or excitement to your garden.
- Items that support your focal point. Think of a dollhouse and adding the path to the house or the path leading the way to your house.
- Items that can be moved around as desired. Because, sometimes you may want to redecorate your fairy garden.