Family hikes are an easy and inexpensive way for a family to spend together.
This is a checklist of how to make those family hikes more fun for everyone!
25 Ways to Make Family Hikes Fun!
A simple guide for families to spend time together.
We all know how valuable time is especially when you are having fun!
This guide is split into five sections.
The sections include planning, what to pack, what to do while hiking, and more.
Each section has five helpful tips that are meant to inspire your journey!
Planning a family hiking trip.
This section includes deciding that you are going to do a family hiking trip.
These tips will help guide you in planning your adventure.
Here is what to consider when planning your hike.
- Get the family involved in planning the trip. This will help motivate them to have fun.
- Decide how far away from home you want to go and how far you want to walk. How much time do you have to devote to this trip?
- Make a budget. While hiking is usually free, there are costs to consider such as gas, food, etc.
- Plan for the time of day and the season. Mornings in the summer may be better while afternoons in the winter may be better.
- Make a plan for any pets that may be left at home if you are going to be gone for a while. Will you need your mail to be brought in for you?
Did you know that there are a lot of national parks that have trails for hiking?
How to make a trip plan for your family hike.
A trip plan is the overall plan for where you are going to go to, when you will leave on your trip, This trip plan will help you stay organized with your plans.
- Research the trails that are available to you. If you are going to a national park, research the different trails that are available to you. You may have some local trails that are in your town that are operated by the park district as well.
- Decide on the activities that you and your family will partake in on the trip. While there is hiking, there may be other activities available such as bike rentals, boating, or zip-lining.
- Make a shopping list of essentials that you will need. Maybe someone needs proper shoes to wear, a new backpack, or a simple jacket.
- Download a map of the hiking trail in advance. Sometimes, there will be an app for phones, or a park district will have a brochure with a map that you can use.
- Let everyone going on the trip help you plan for the hike. Allow your kids to be in charge of something such as planning snacks.
Make hiking fun for kids.
We all know that family experiences are more enjoyable when everyone is having a good time.
This is especially true when you are spending time with your kids.
How to make hiking trips fun for kids.
- I have already mentioned that allowing kids to help plan for the trip is important. This will allow them to become involved and thus, enjoy the adventure as a result.
- Download a map of the hiking trail for the kids. Depending on their age, allow them to color the map, mark important points they want to see or where there may be a bathroom, and help plan out the hike.
- Bring a pair of binoculars for the kids. This will allow them to discover birds, leaves, bugs, or even water that is one trail.
- Have your child wear a whistle on the trip. If they get separated from the family they can blow the whistle for help. There are whistles that have a compass on them that are nice for hiking.
- Help your child pack a backpack to take on the trip. Include items such as extra socks, a jacket or sweatshirt, paper and something to write or color with, and maybe a walkie talkie.
Consider purchasing a guide for hiking or a book that helps identify plants, bugs, or trees.
There are also phone apps that may be helpful!
You can find hiking guides here.
What to pack for a family hiking trip.
There are the items that you may want to keep in the car such as extra clothing.
Other items may be helpful for you to take with you on your hike.
Here is what to bring with you when you hike.
- Bring a backpack with you to carry your items in. This will keep your hands free for helping you balance or take pictures.
- Pack a water bottle and simple snacks. I like easy food that provide energy and will not melt such as granola bars or cheese sticks.
- Remember some kind of first aid kit. Even a small first aid kit with bandages and antiseptic wipes may come in handy.
- Sun protections, hats, bug spray and an extra jacket are helpful to have with you.
- Lastly, a map and a compass may be helpful.
Family Movie Nights are another great way to spend family time together.
Here is how to make a family night at home (spoiler- great tips!).
How to have fun while hiking.
Finally the day of your hiking trip has arrived!
Here is how to make the most of it.
- Check the weather to see if you will need to prepare for rain. Also, check the website of the location to make sure that they are open and if they have any special information such as closed trails or parking.
- Make sure that everyone knows what to do if they become separated from you.
- Allow everyone to have some kind of a role in the hike. Kids can help point out birds or trees of note for example.
- Remember to take time to rest, take photos, or have a snack and water. Exercise can be tiring even when it is fun.
- Ask questions such as what did you like best about the trail? What was your favorite tree or bridge?
25 Ways to Make Family Hikes Fun
Thanks for visiting.! Have a great trip 🙂