(warning, jumping to recipe can result in missing important information including alternative ingredients and tips. Also, as an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases made via the links on this website.)
Brown Butter Sweet Potato Pie Recipe that is especially perfect for holiday baking and eating.
This tasty dessert recipe is based upon the southern sweet potato pie tradition.
Brown Butter Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
This is a tasty potato pie that is meant to please.
I like the flavor that the brown butter adds to this dessert!
Did you try my recipe for Tasty Sweet Potato Pie Bars?
That sweet potato dessert recipe for bars which are based upon the pie dessert.
This sweet potato pie recipe has brown butter as well as other traditional ingredients in it.
This recipe calls for mashed sweet potatoes. Instead of going through the trouble of baking your own potatoes and then mashing them, you can purchase already mashed sweet potatoes here.
You may be wondering what is the difference between brown butter and regular butter.
Let me first say that brown butter is regular butter.
Only, it has been 'browned' or cooked.
Why do we brown the butter?
Because there is a special unique and amazing flavor that results from properly browning butter over the stove. When the butter browns, is gets a 'nutty' flavor thanks to the milk solids browning.
People often ask does sweet potato pie taste better than pumpkin pie.
Really, this is a personal thing as we all have different tastes.
What I will say is that both sweet potatoes and pumpkin have their qualities when it comes to taste.
Here is how sweet potatoes differ from pumpkins.
Sweet potatoes are more dense as is their flavor as a result.
Also, sweet potatoes have about twice as much sugar than pumpkin making it a sweeter tasting choice.
Tips for making a sweet potato pie.
It is essential that the butter is cooked correctly to that special point to get the desired flavor. You certainly do not want to burn it!
More tips for you
- Because this is a special pie, you most likely do not want the crust to burn. It is a good idea to place pieces of foil around the pie on the crust edges to ensure that they do not burn before the pie is done baking.
- A good way to bake these pies is to do it on a baking sheet. This will help keep the pie level and also aid in the transferring of the pie in and out of the oven.
- It is important to allow the pie set before slicing it. Allow the pie to cool to room temperature for at least an hour for best results.
Personalize your sweet potato pie!
Yes, this pie is amazing just the way it is!
However, you can always take it up a notch too!
Try one of these ideas.
- Place marshmallows on top of the pie a few minutes before taking it out of the oven for a marshmallow topping.
- Swap out a bit of the mashed sweet potatoes with pumpkin puree for a different taste.
- Top each slice with some whipped topping before serving.
Be sure to follow DIYandFUN on Facebook and on Pinterest.
I also have a weekly newsletter that you can subscribe to.
↓(Keep Scrolling to Continue Reading)↓
You may also be interested in these ideas.
About the sweet potato pie recipe.
You can use any pie crust to make this recipe including a store bought crust.
I also have a pie crust recipe here.
Browning butter is not hard to do.
What is important is that you whisk it while it cooks.
This will help keep the butter from burning and also to scrape the bottom of the pan.
Ingredients needed to make this southern brown butter sweet potato pie.
- Pie Crusts- 2, store-bought or homemade.
- Butter- ½ cup, unsalted and cut into cubes.
- Sweet Potatoes- 2 cups mashed.
- Light Brown Sugar- ½ cup, packed.
- Granulated Sugar- ¾ cup.
- Evaporated Milk- ½ cup.
- Eggs- 2, at room temperature.
- Vanilla Extract- 1 teaspoon.
- Cookie Nip Flavoring- 1 teaspoon.
- Ground Cinnamon- ½ teaspoon.
- Nutmeg- ¼ teaspoon.
- Allspice- ¼ teaspoon.
- All Purpose Flour- 1 ½ tablespoons.
How to make Brown Butter Sweet Potato Pie
Step One: prepare.
If you have not prepared your pie crusts and allow them to cool fully.
For the sweet potatoes, you can use already mashed Sweet Potatoes. To make your own, peel and chop five to six average sized potatoes. Boil under tender (about 15 minutes) then drain and mash.
To brown the butter, place the unsalted butter in a saucepan and bring it to a boil over high heat, whisking continually. When the butter begins to boil, reduce the heat to medium high and allow the butter to continue to cook about seven minutes before removing it from the heat.
Allow the brown butter to cool in a glass container (with the brown bits) for half hour before using it.
Step Two: put together the ingredients.
Preheat your oven to 350 and place a rack in the center of the oven with a baking sheet on top.
Cover the pie crusts with foil to prevent burning.
In a mixing bowl, mix together the sweet potatoes with the brown butter until smooth.
Then add the sugars, evaporated milk, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and flour and mix until combined. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pie crusts.
Step Three: bake the pies.
Place the pies on to the baking sheets in the preheated oven. Bake for 45 minutes and then remove from oven and allow the pies to cool for at least an hour before serving.
Brown Butter Sweet Potato Pie Recipe, based on a southern favorite, this tasty dessert recipe is perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Brown Butter Sweet Potato Pie
- 2 Pie Crusts
- ½ cup Butter
- 2 cups Sweet Potatoes
- ½ cup Light Brown Sugar
- ¾ cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup Evaporated Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract-
- 1 tsp Cookie Nip Flavoring
- ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Allspice
- 1 ½ tbsp All Purpose Flour-
- Preheat your oven to 350 and place a rack in the center of the oven with a baking sheet on top. Cover the pie crusts with foil to prevent burning.In a mixing bowl, mix together the sweet potatoes with the brown butter until smooth. Then add the sugars, evaporated milk, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and flour and mix until combined. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pie crusts.
- Place the pies on to the baking sheets in the preheated oven. Bake for 45 minutes and then remove from oven and allow the pies to cool for at least an hour before serving.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!