Easy DIY Yarn Pencil Toppers are a fun way to get excited for school
I like how easy this craft idea is for most ages.
Yarn Pencil Toppers
This is a simple craft idea for making a pom pom topper for pencils.
The toppers can be made in about thirty minutes.
Did you see my DIY craft idea to make Make Minions out of Flower Pots?
That Minion craft idea is another nice idea for most ages. Minions are a popular character with the kids.
The googly eyes used in this project come in different sizes. You can find a selection of googly craft eyes here.
Pencil toppers are what is on the non-writing end of the pencil. Most pencils come with a built-in eraser as a topper.
This do it yourself craft topper can go on top of the built-in eraser or a bare end of the pencil if there is no built in eraser.
Certainly, you can get away with using a pencil that has no topper.
However, there are some reasons why you may want a pencil (or pen) topper.
This pencil topper project is especially geared to school aged kids.
Pencil toppers make writing fun, which in turn, can make school work fun (right?).
But, pencil toppers are a nice idea if you are someone who wants to keep tabs on a pencil. Toppers are a good idea when people borrow your pencils or pens (cash registers at work, offices, etc.).
Tips for making pompom pencil toppers.
While this project is suitable for most ages, some folks may need assistance. Adult sized hands, for example, can make better pompoms.
More tips for you
- My toppers have googly eyes that have been attached using a glue gun. Feel free to use the glue of your choice such as tacky glue. You will need to allow time however, for the glue to set.
- When selecting the yarn to use in this project, the thickness of the yarn can matter. A thicker yarn will yield a more full pom pom.
- The pom pom can be easily made by wrapping the the yarn around your hand. However, adult hands are larger and can make better pom poms than smaller hands. Also, it is important that you tie the yard tightly.
Personalize you homemade pencil topper.
This is a quick and easy project that is really cute just the way that it is.
But, you can make yours even better.
Try one of these ideas.
- Make your pom pom using yarn that is of school colors.
- Use more than one color of yarn or many colors for a rainbow effect.
- Lastly, add a craft hat or bows.
↓(Keep Scrolling to Continue Reading)↓
You may also be interested in these ideas.
About this homemade pencil topper project.
This is a simple project for making a pom pom topper.
Most of the materials for this craft diy can be found at a local dollar or big box store.
What can you attach these toppers to?
Materials that you will need to make these toppers.
- Yarn- thicker yarn looks better and lasts longer.
- Glue Gun and sticks. This is something that adults should handle if a young child is making this project. Glue can also be used but, you will also need to wait for it to dry.
- Googly Eyes. You can find these at craft stores, dollar stores, or even online.
How to make Easy DIY Yarn Pencil Toppers
This project can be made in about 10-20 minutes.
Step One: make the pom pom.
- Cut a five inch piece of yarn off to use as a tie. Set this aside while you work.
- Tuck the newly cut end of the yarn between your thumb and the base of your pinkie so that your thumb is holding the end in place against your hand.
- While holding on to the end, wrap the yarn around you remaining fingers, loosely, and back in forth in layers.
- Gently remove the yarn from your hand so that it stays together as wound.
- Using the hand that you used to remove the yarn, pinch together the center of the removed yarn.
- With your free hand, use the piece of yarn that you cut off in the first step to wrap around the center where you are pinching the yarn. Do this a couple of times before knotting the yarn.
- Cut both of the looped ends of the pom pom so that all you see are yarn ends.
- Fluff up the pom pom by pulling the pieces apart from one another.
Step Two: decorate the pom pom.
Use a glue gun or glue to attach the googly eyes to your pencil.
You can also attach any additional add-ons.
Step Three: attach the pom pom to your pencil.
To permanently attach the pom pom, simply place a bit of glue on the eraser part of the pencil and insert it into the center of the bottom of the pom pom. Another option is to attach the pom pom to an pencil eraser topper so that it can be taken off.
Easy DIY Yarn Pencil Toppers, a simple project for decorating pencils and pens with a homemade craft pom pom. Most ages.
Easy DIY Yarn Pencil Toppers
- Glue Gun and sticks.
- Googly Eyes.
- Cut a five inch piece of yarn off to use as a tie. Set this aside while you work.Tuck the newly cut end of the yarn between your thumb and the base of your pinkie so that your thumb is holding the end in place against your hand.While holding on to the end, wrap the yarn around you remaining fingers, loosely, and back in forth in layers.Gently remove the yarn from your hand so that it stays together as wound.With your free hand, use the piece of yarn that you cut off in the first step to wrap around the center where you are pinching the yarn. Do this a couple of times before knotting the yarn.
- Use a glue gun or glue to attach the googly eyes to your pencil. You can also attach any additional add-ons.To permanently attach the pom pom, simply place a bit of glue on the eraser part of the pencil and insert it into the center of the bottom of the pom pom.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!