Slow Cooker Mushroom Stuffing is the perfect idea for a holiday season side dish.
I like that this stuffing can be made in a slow cooker and not on the stove.
Slow Cooker Mushroom Stuffing
This is a flavorful recipe for stuffing that complements most anything that it is served with.
Being able to set this recipe in a slow cooker gives me the ability to focus on everything else going on in the kitchen.
Did you see my recipe for Easy Homemade Cornbread stuffing?
That cornbread stuffing recipe is based upon a favorite southern style of cooking.
This stuffing recipe is more of a traditional mushroom stuffing.
This stuffing recipe is made in a slow cooker. You can find a variety of slow cookers at good prices here.
People always ask what is stuffing usually made of.
There really are a lot ways to make a great stuffing.
What makes a stuffing so good really has to do with the blending of the flavors that have gone into them.
Most stuffing recipes do have certain ingredients in common.
There is usually a bread component which helps to contain the moisture and flavors while adding to the texture of the stuffing as a whole. You will also find that most stuffing recipes include some kind of moisture (butter, gravy, etc.) along with a crunchy element (celery etc).
What is the difference between stuffing and dressing anyway?
People seem to use the terms 'stuffing' and 'dressing' interchangeably.
However, use of the words may also be used more depending on the location of the people using them.
Technically, stuffing and dressing may have something to do with how they are prepared.
While people are getting away from baking the stuffing inside of raw poultry, the term 'stuffing' is often used to describe just that. Dressing however, is more likely to be baked in the oven in a separate baking dish.
Tips for making slow cooker stuffing.
Moisture is a big deal for anyone eating stuffing. Keep an eye on the moisture and make adjustments as needed while the stuffing cooks.
More tips for you
- I like to give the inside of the pot a quick spray with nonstick before adding the ingredients to the pot. This helps make the clean up easier.
- Be sure to stir the stuffing and check on it often. Make adjustments in the moisture as needed.
- This recipe is made with seasoned stuffing cubes. I like to mix in my own old bread with the seasoned stuff. This helps to keep the salt and seasonings in touch while providing a bit of a 'homemade' feel to the recipe.
Personalize homemade stuffing.
This is a pretty basic stuffing recipe that is made in a slow cooker.
As good as this recipe may be, there are ways that you can make it even better.
Try one of these ideas.
- Try a broth other than vegetable broth or in addition to the vegetable broth for more flavor.
- Adding a bit of precooked meat is a great way to add flavor and texture to this stuffing.
- Adding a bit of fruit, such as dried cranberries or raisins, adds both a festive and flavorful touch to this recipe.
↓(Keep Scrolling to Continue Reading)↓
You may also be interested in these ideas.
How to make seasoned stuffing cubes.
Making your own bread stuffing cubes is a great way to personalize a recipe as well as use up bread that may need using up. Any kind of bread, or combination of breads, can help make a great stuffing cube.
Here is how to make your own stuffing cubes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 and line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- One loaf of bread should be enough for this recipe. Cut the bread into ½-1" sized cubes and place them evenly into two large bowls (you may need to make this in batches).
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil and seasoning. For the 12 cups of cubes needed in this recipe. You will need 1 ½-2 tablespoons of oil and 2-3 teaspoons of seasonings per baking sheet.
- Toss the cubes in the oil and seasonings and the transfer the ingredients to the prepped baking sheets, evenly spreading the cubes.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown, stopping to stir every five minutes.
- Allow the cubes to cool and further firm up at room temperature.
Ingredients needed to make slow cooker stuffing.
- Butter- ½ cup, melted.
- Baby Portobello Mushrooms- 1 lb, chopped. If unavailable, use a similar mushroom.
- Celery- 4 stalks chopped ( about 1 ¼ cups).
- Onion- 1 average sized chopped.
- Stuffing Cubes- 12 cups.
- Parsley- ¼ cup.
- Sage- 1 ½ teaspoons.
- Thyme- 1 teaspoon.
- Eggs- 2 beaten.
- Vegetable Broth- 3 cups.
- Salt and Pepper as needed.
How to make Slow Cooker Mushroom Stuffing.
Step One: prepare the ingredients.
Melt the butter if not already melted. Place the mushrooms, celery, onions, cubes and seasonings in a large bowl. Blend in the seasonings with the melted butter and toss with the ingredients in the bowl.
In another bowl, whisk together the egg and the broth and then stir this into the ingredients in the large bowl.
Step Two: cook the slow cooker.
Transfer the ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low.
Cover the slow cooker and stir as needed.
The stuffing should be ready to serve in about three and a half house.
Do not cook longer than four hours as it will dry out.
Slow Cooker Mushroom Stuffing, an easy and delicious bread stuffing recipe that is perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.
Slow Cooker Mushroom Stuffing
- Melt the butter if not already melted. Place the mushrooms, celery, onions, cubes and seasonings in a large bowl. Blend in the seasonings with the melted butter and toss with the ingredients in the bowl.In another bowl, whisk together the egg and the broth and then stir this into the ingredients in the large bowl.
- Transfer the ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low. Cover the slow cooker and stir as needed. The stuffing should be ready to serve in about three and a half house. Do not cook longer than four hours as it will dry out.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!