This Easy Framed Christmas Wall Décor is actually a reverse canvas project.
This means that we will take a 'pre-stretched canvas' and turn it into a cool looking wall hanging.
Easy Framed Christmas Wall Décor
A simple way to make a holiday inspired wall hanging using a plain canvas.
Many of the materials in this project can easily be found at dollar store on inexpensively online.
Did you try my idea about How to Make a Boxwood Wreath?
That project is another holiday inspired idea that can be made using dollar store or inexpensive materials.
Both project ideas would work well together on a wall or as gift ideas!
This project calls for a Stretch 8 x 10 canvas. You can find this canvas at most dollar or craft stores oryou can find canvases online here.
You may be wondering what is a reverse canvas.
A reverse canvas refers to using a stretch canvas as both the canvas and the frame.
Reverse canvas may seem like a confusing idea if you have never heard of it before.
But, here is a more explanation of what a reverse canvas is.
To make a reverse canvas you will need a stretch canvas, as I have mentioned.
Carefully remove the canvas from the frame and attach it to the back of the frame so that the frame becomes a frame that surrounds the picture rather than holding the picture.
People ask what does the red truck mean for Christmas.
Honestly, during the Christmas season I think that I see red trucks all over the place.
I see the trucks on pillows, ornaments, cups, comforters, and so much more.
Here is why the red truck is so popular (my opinion).
First of all, red truck are that festive red color.
However, these red trucks inspired nostalgic ideas of a holiday seasons filled with family, food, gifts, and of course, snow.
Tips for making reverse canvas projects.
Any blank canvas should work for a project such as this one.
As long as it is stretched and there is a wood frame, you should be okay.
More tips for you
- I suggest purchasing more than one canvas rather than just one. That way you will be ready if something goes wrong or if you want to make more.
- Stretch canvases can be found in multi-packs online. Sometimes the online multi-packs of stretch canvases will be less expensive than purchasing just one at the local dollar store.
- Since these canvases are light in weight, hanging them should be a breeze. I like to use removable hanging strips or even thumbtacks or mine.
Personalize your red truck Christmas décor.
This easy project is fun an cute as it is.
However, you can make it even more fun.
Try one of these ideas.
- Paint the canvas and allow it to dry before removing it to have a colorful background.
- Use a permanent marker to write your last name or someone else's name on the truck.
- Make two of these only reverse the truck on one so that when you hang them next to one another the cars face each other.
Be sure to follow DIYandFUN on Facebook and on Pinterest.
I also have a weekly newsletter that you can subscribe to.
↓(Keep Scrolling to Continue Reading)↓
You may also be interested in these ideas.
About the Red Truck used in this project.
The red truck in the photo is actually a from a candle holder found at a local dollar store.
You can find a similar truck that could work in this project either at your local dollar store or craft store.
Can't find the red truck candle holder? Try one of these ideas.
- Use a flat red truck ornament.
- A red truck greeting card could work in this project.
- Or, a red truck decal could work.
- You could use something else such as a tree design.
Materials needed to make this Dollar Store Farmhouse Christmas Truck Reverse Canvas project.
- 8 X 10" Stretch Canvas (blank).
- Stain for the frame (can be found at many dollar stores).
- Paint brush
- Glue gun
- Glue sticks
- Red Truck , flat sign, ornament etc.
How to make this Easy Framed Christmas Wall Décor
Step One: Prepare the canvas and frame.
Start by removing the canvas from the wooden frame using a screw driver to get around the staples. Carefully pull out each staple to separate the canvas from the frame.
Once the canvas is removed you can set the canvas aside to work on the frame.
To make the frame for this project, flip the wooden frame over as the backside will become the front side for this project.
Stain the frame according the directions on the packaging. Then allow the stain to fully dry (overnight).
Step Two: attach the canvas to the frame.
The canvas will need to cut to size in order to fit inside of the frame. To do this trace the canvas using the frame and cut it out, leaving enough of the canvas to glue it to the frame. Tip: if the canvas sticks out from the backside of the frame, you can trim the excess away when you are done.
To attach the canvas to the frame, flip the canvas over to use the off white side. Then use a hot glue the canvas to the backside of the frame. When the glue has dried and cooled you can remove any remaining canvas that is beyond the sides of the frame.
Step Three: Decorate the canvas.
Use a glue gun or other glue to attach the truck, or decoration, to the canvas.
Finish decorating as desired.
Easy Framed Christmas Wall Décor, a simple holiday inspired Dollar Tree Farmhouse Christmas Truck Reverse Canvas project.
Easy Framed Christmas Wall Décor
- Start by removing the canvas by carefully pulling out each staple to separate the canvas from the frame.Once the canvas is removed you can set the canvas aside to work on the frame. To make the frame for this project, flip the wooden frame over as the backside will become the front side for this project. Stain the frame according the directions on the packaging. Then allow the stain to fully dry (overnight).
- The canvas will need to cut to size in order to fit inside of the frame by tracing the canvas using the frame and then cutting the canvas to size. To attach the canvas to the frame, flip the canvas over to use the off white side. Then use a hot glue the canvas to the backside of the frame. When the glue has dried and cooled you can remove any remaining canvas that is beyond the sides of the frame. Use a glue gun or other glue to attach the truck, or decoration, to the canvas. Finish decorating as desired.