This is a fun recipe idea for decorating cupcakes.
I like how easy these cupcakes are to make too!
Easy Sunflower Cupcakes
This is a really fun recipe idea for decorating cupcakes.
These decorated cupcakes are perfect for spring, summer, or fall as well.
Did you try my Beach Cupcakes that were part of my DIY Beach Party post?
Those beach cupcakes are another cute idea for decorating cupcakes.
These cupcakes are just as cute but, are also easy to serve to a crowd.
This recipe calls for using mini-Oreo cookies in the center. The mini Oreos are the perfect color and size for making the center (where the seeds grow) of the sunflower.
This recipe is for anyone asking how do you make a sunflower cupcake.
To be honest, this is a really easy recipe to make.
Think of this as really decorating a plain cupcake in the design of a colorful flower.
There are basically four ingredients needed to make sunflower cupcakes.
Besides the cupcakes, you will need frosting and, as mentioned, the Oreo center.
You will need both a yellow and a white frosting for this recipe.
You are probably wondering how do you pipe petals on a cupcake.
First off, you will need a Wilton #70 tip to get the petals like the ones on my cupcakes.
This is a simple tip that is designed to make petals, such as the ones made in this project.
You will need to work from the center of the cupcake out to make each of the petals.
Some people prefer to first place the cookie in the center and then work out from the cookie with the petals. Personally, I think adding cookie to the center helps make the final presentation of the cupcake a bit nicer.
Here are some tips for making sunflower cupcakes.
Using a turntable to decorate these cakes can make your life a bit easier. Then you will be able to rotate the cupcakes as you apply the petals.
More helpful tips for you.
- This recipe calls for using a basic yellow cupcake mix for making the cupcakes. However, you could easily use another mix such as "Funfetti" or even Lemon mix.
- Even easier, you can purchase already made cupcakes from your local grocery store or bakery and use those cupcakes!
- Top these cupcakes with something fun. You can find cute bumblebees or lady bugs to put on top of your cupcakes for example.
How to make sugar free sunflower cupcakes.
This recipe is actually quite simple to make sugar free!
Since the cupcakes can be made without adding sugar and you can also use sugar free frosting.
Finding the sugar free version of ingredients is easy.
How to make Sunflower cupcakes.
This is a two part project.
For the first part, you will need to bake yellow cupcakes according to the directions on the package.
Once the cupcakes have fully cooled, you can decorate them.
You will need white frosting that you will need to add yellow food coloring to.
Also, a Wilton #70 tip to apply the frosting as petals to the cupcakes.
Ingredients needed to make sunflower cupcakes.
- Yellow cake mix plus the ingredients indicated on the packaging to make the cupcakes.
- White frosting- the amount needed to cover the amount of cupcakes you have baked.
- Yellow Food Coloring- as needed.
- Mini Oreo Cookies- one for each cupcake.
How to make Sunflower Cupcakes
- Bake the cupcakes as indicated on the directions on the packaging. Allow the cupcakes to fully cool before adding the frosting on top.
- In a mixing bowl, blend together the frosting with the food coloring until smooth. You will need to add as much of the coloring as needed to get the shade of yellow that works best for you. Adding a drop of red may get you a nice golden orange color if desired.
- Place the frosting in a piping bag and outfit the bag with the #70 tip.
- Put a small dab of frosting in the center of each cupcake. Then place the cookie in the center.
- To make the petals, start from the center of the cupcake where the cookie is and work your way out, slightly lifting as you reach the edge. Rotate the cupcake as needed to complete the process.
- Top with any additional items as described above and serve.
Don't miss these fun ideas!
Easy Sunflower Cupcakes, a simple method of making colorful decorated cupcakes. Included a sugar free option.
Easy Sunflower Cupcakes
- Wilton #70 tip
- 12 Cupcakes - baked as indicated in directions.
- Yellow Food Coloring
- Mini Oreo Cookies
- Bake the cupcakes as indicated on the directions on the packaging. Allow the cupcakes to fully cool before adding the frosting on top. In a mixing bowl, blend together the frosting with the food coloring until smooth. You will need to add as much of the coloring as needed to get the shade of yellow that works best for you. Adding a drop of red may get you a nice golden orange color if desired.
- Place the frosting in a piping bag and outfit the bag with the #70 tip.Put a small dab of frosting in the center of each cupcake. Then place the cookie in the center. To make the petals, start from the center of the cupcake where the cookie is and work your way out, slightly lifting as you reach the edge. Rotate the cupcake as needed to complete the process.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!