Garden Shovel Wreath DIY is really a creative homemade idea for your door or wall.
I like that most of the materials can even be found at a dollar or discount store.
Garden Shovel Wreath DIY
This is a simple project for turning an inexpensive child's sized shovel into a nifty wreath for your door or wall hanging.
This is a simple project that can be easily modified for most ages.
Did you make my Easy Farmhouse Welcome Wreath
That farmhouse wreath project, like this one, features materials that can be found inexpensively at a dollar or discount store. Both do it yourself craft ideas are easy ways to update your door or home.
To make this project you will need a small shovel that can be spray painted. You can find small sized plastic shovels here.
This project is for anyone looking for an easy dollar store project.
While this project may appear to be cute, it is rather easy to make. My shovel has been painted a uniform color but, you can use your shovel as is and avoid the painting step.
Once the shovel has been painted, you can decorate it.
My shovel has twine wrapped around the handle. This is to make it look more like a wall or door hanging and less like a toy.
You may be wondering how do you make a shovel wreath.
As mentioned, this is a simple project.
Once the shovel has been decorated it can be easily hung for display.
Why use a shovel for a wreath?
The shovel is a nice idea for summer months because it reminds us of the beach and warm weather. It is also a nice idea for a theme party or for a wall hanging especially for a kids room too.
Tips for making a shovel wreath.
When selecting a shovel, look for one that will fit well with the size of your door. That is, choose a shovel that is not too large for your door.
More tips for you
- My shovel has been painted. If you choose to paint yours too, make sure that it is fully dry before making the hanging.
- If kids will be making this project, assist them as needed. Since spray paint works best for painting a plastic shovel, make sure that a child is assisted with this and other steps as needed.
- To hang this shovel on a door, you can easily make a loop using the twine and tie it to the handle. Another option is to glue on a hanging loop or similar item on the backside.
Personalize your homemade shovel project.
This project is really cute just the way it is.
It can also be personalized to make it even better for you.
Try one of these ideas.
- Use another garden-like item made for kids such as a plastic rake. You may need an adjustment to make it work.
- Use something other than flowers to decorate your shovel. You can find craft decorations that may work with this project here.
- Personalize the shovel with a name or picture.
↓(Keep Scrolling to Continue Reading)↓
You may also be interested in these ideas.
About this DIY shovel craft idea.
This is a simple project for turning a small and inexpensive plastic shovel into a wreath or door hanging. You can use a lightweight and small kids plastic shovel to make this.
To make this project, my shovel was first pained using spray paint.
Once the spray paint dried, a bow with a flower attached to it was glued on to the shovel. The handle of the shovel was decorated with twine wrapped around it.
Supplies needed to make this shovel wreath.
- Kids Plastic Shovel
- Eucalyptus Stems
- Burlap Ribbon
- Daisey Bunch
- Spray Paint
- A hot glue gun was used to glue on the decorations.
How to make a Garden Shovel Wreath DIY
Step One: prepare the shovel.
Make sure that the shovel is clean of debris and stickers.
Carefully spray paint your shovel according to the directions on the can. However, painting both sides is option but, it can make your shovel look better. My shovel took two coats of paint to cover the shovel.
Step Two: make the bow.
The bow can be easily made while the shovel is drying.
Start by taking 12 inches of the burlap lace ribbon to make your bow. My bow was made using two loops secured with a zip tie in the center rather than a knot. The zip tie was secured in the center of the loops and then the ends were cut to a desired length. Lastly, you can glue the daisy into place on the center of the bow.
Step Three: attach the pieces to the shovel and finish the project.
Once the shovel has fully dried you can attach the bow and the remaining elements. Using the glue gun, make a line of glue along the area where the stem of the shovel meets the wide part. Then press the eucalyptus into place.
Add a few dabs of glue, or as needed, to the backside of the bow and press the bow into place.
Lastly, you can wrap your twine around the handle. Start however, by placing a dab of glue where the starting end of the twine will go. Wrap the twine around the handle, adding dabs of glue as needed to keep the twine in place. When you get the the end of the handle simply cut the twine and glue it to the backside of the handle.
You can however add a loop to the top or the backside of the shovel as needed to thus hang your shovel in your desired location.
Garden Shovel Wreath DIY, a simple craft project for turning dollar store materials into a seasonal wreath or wall hanging.
Garden Shovel Wreath DIY,
- Carefully spray paint your shovel according to the directions on the can. My shovel took two coats of paint to cover the shovel.
- Make the bow. Start by taking 12 inches of the burlap lace ribbon to make your bow. My bow was made using two loops secured with a zip tie in the center rather than a knot. Lastly, you can glue the daisy into place on the center of the bow.
- Once the shovel has fully dried you can attach the bow and the remaining elements. Using the glue gun, make a line of glue along the area where the stem of the shovel meets the wide part. Then press the eucalyptus into place. Wrap the twine around the handle, adding dabs of glue as needed to keep the twine in place. When you get the the end of the handle simply cut the twine and glue it to the backside of the handle.