(warning, jumping to recipe can result in missing important information including alternative ingredients and tips. Also, as an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases made via the links on this website.)
Watermelon Summer Salad is the perfect salad idea on a warm summer day,
This salad tastes both sweet like watermelon and a bit tart thanks to the yummy Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing.
Summer Salad Made With Watermelon.
This is a simple four ingredient salad recipe that is tossed in a homemade dressing.
The dressing is a homemade balsamic vinaigrette made with raspberries.
Did you see my listing for 50 Irresistible Lemon Dessert Recipes ?
Many of those lemon dessert recipes are also perfect for a warm summer day. Both this salad recipe and a lemon dessert would make for a nice meal idea.
To make the balsamic vinaigrette dressing you will need balsamic vinegar. You can find balsamic vinegar here.
First off, while this recipe is considered to be a 'summer salad' it could really be enjoyed any time of the year. As long as you can find the ingredients, or good alternatives, you can enjoy this salad at any time.
Summer salads got their name because they are light and flavorful especially on a warm day. Also, often summer salads are made with homegrown ingredients, such as tomatoes (raising my hand🙋♀️ ) that you are wanting to enjoy.
'Salad' is really a general category. Sometimes salad refers to mixed fruit or lettuces while other times salad can mean pasta tossed with veggies.
In this recipe, watermelon salad is is really refers to lettuces, veggies, and fruit. That is, the watermelon is tossed with tomatoes and greens in a tasty vinaigrette dressing to make a watermelon salad.
Tips for making a summer salad.
I like to use a premade package of greens when I make a recipe such as this one. My favorite is a spring salad as there is a nice variety of flavors that go well with the ingredients in this salad.
More tips for you
- The dressing in this recipe calls for balsamic vinegar. However, you can alternatively use another similar vinegar such as champagne vinegar.
- Are you just serving this for one or two people? Some grocery stores sell sliced watermelon in single or double serving sizes.
- The dressing can be sweetened to taste. While you can use regular table sugar to sweeten yours, you can also use an alternative such as monk fruit instead.
Personalize this homemade salad recipe.
This salad has a good balance of flavors which make it taste so good. However, you can make yours even better.
Try one of these ideas in your watermelon salad.
- Sprinkle some nuts on top such as walnuts or pecans.
- Add additional fruit such as blueberries or raspberries.
- Stir in some premade bite sized pasta.
- Kalamata olives add both the perfect colorful accent and salty flavor to this salad.
Be sure to follow DIYandFUN on Facebook and on Pinterest.
I also have a weekly newsletter that you can subscribe to.
↓(Keep Scrolling to Continue Reading)↓
You may also be interested in these ideas.
How to serve a summer salad.
This salad should be made fresh.
It is also recommended that you serve is just after making it.
This salad would taste great alone for a luncheon or light dinner.
For lunch, you can serve this salad with a croissant or small roll on the side.
This salad would also make for a nice appetizer when served before or with chicken or even a cold soup.
Ingredients needed to make a summer watermelon salad.
- Raspberries. This is for the dressing. The raspberries can be fresh or thawed from frozen. Alternative fruit that may work include raspberries or blueberries.
- Balsamic Vinegar. This vinegar provides the perfect balance as well as an enhancement for the watermelon. You can balance out the acidity by adding a bit of sweetener.
- Olive Oil. This flavorful oil really adds a rich taste to anything that it is mixed with.
- Dark Green Lettuce. I like a spring mix with this recipe as the arugula adds a hint of pepper flavoring.
- Tomatoes. Roma tomatoes are flavorful. However, you can also opt for a smaller bite sized grape or similar tomato.
- Feta cheese. This adds both color and additional texture to the salad. I like how the feta takes its time dissolving in my mouth while the other flavors do their thing.
- Sweeteners as desired. My salad uses both honey (wet) and a bit of sugar to balance out the vinegar.
How to make Watermelon Summer Salad
Servings: 6 | Prep time: 10 minutes
Step One: make the dressing.
Start by carefully mashing down the raspberries using a fork or similar object. You can sprinkle the raspberries with sweetener if they are tarte. Transfer this to a glass jar that can be used for storing the vinaigrette.
Next, in a small bowl or glass measuring cup, whisk together the remaining ingredients except for the optional sweetener and seasonings. Pour this into the jar with the raspberries and shake or whisk the ingredients. Then taste the dressing and adjust accordingly with sweetener, salt, and other optional seasonings as desired.
Step Two: make the salad.
Start by slicing the watermelon and tomatoes into bite size pieces, set aside.
Next, place greens in a large salad serving bowl, tearing larger pieces into bite sizes as needed. Then pour the vinaigrette dressing over the greens in the bowl and toss. Lastly, top the salad with the remaining ingredients (watermelon, tomatoes, and feta cheese).
Watermelon Summer Salad, a simple four ingredient salad recipe tossed in homemade Raspberry Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing.
WATERMELON SUMMER SALAD,
- 3 cups Lettuce - adjust this as desired.
- 1 ½ cups Watermelon - adjust as desired.
- ¾ cups Tomatoes
- 3 tbsp Feta Cheese
See post for the dressing recipe. You will need between ½ and ¾ cup of dressing for this salad.
- Start by slicing the watermelon and tomatoes into bite size pieces, set this aside.
- Next, place greens in a large salad serving bowl, tearing larger pieces into bite sizes as needed. Then pour the vinaigrette dressing over the greens in the bowl and toss.
- Lastly, top the salad with the remaining ingredients (watermelon, tomatoes, and feta cheese).
Please see recipe post for further details on this recipe.
Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that are used. See DiyandFun.com for details on this recipe.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!