Homemade blueberry dog treats are something that my dogs really enjoy eating.
I like that these treats are homemade and that I know everything that has gone into them.
Homemade Blueberry Dog Treats
This is a homemade do it yourself recipe idea for making treats that dogs love.
I like how easy these treats are to make as well!
Have you tried my Blueberry and Thyme Dog Treat recipe?
Like with this recipe, that frozen dog treat recipe is features blueberries.
This recipe for blueberry dog treats is baked and is more like a cookie or biscuit.
This dog treat recipe is made using a pet themed cookie cutter.
You can find a great variety of pet themed cookie cutters here.
You may be wondering are blueberries toxic to dogs.
Like you, I would hate for my dog to get sick from eating something that they should not be eating. This includes 'people' food such as fruit that I like to eat.
Here is what you should know about blueberries.
The good news is that yes, dogs can eat blueberries and they can also reap the same benefits that we do (fiber, antioxidants, etc.). However, blueberries should only be consumed in moderation as eating too many can cause issues such as a bad tummy (like with people).
Also, you may be asking will granola hurt my dog.
When it comes to granola, it is important to read the ingredients on the label.
This is because sometimes granola may have something toxic to pets such as chocolate added to it.
How to know if the granola is pet safe.
Certainly, reading the ingredient label is important and knowing what inside the package may be of issue to your pet. Often, granola made with oats and honey will have pet safe ingredients in it.
Here are some tips for making dog biscuits.
This recipe calls for whole wheat flour. Whole wheat flour is my go-to flour for making pet treats however, you are welcome to use the flour of your choice.
Here are some more tips for you.
- This recipe calls for blueberries. Feel free to use frozen, fresh, or dried blueberries. Make sure that your blueberries have no other ingredients, such as sugar, added to them.
- Feel free to add a bit of honey to these biscuits. Some dogs seem to like the taste of honey and it will also make this biscuits smell good.
- This recipe calls for peanut butter. It may be best to use an unsweetened creamy peanut butter with simple ingredients rather than something with sugar and preservatives.
How to store homemade dog treats.
These dog treats should be stored in an air tight container or zip top bag.
They should keep for for about a week in a dry place.
You can also freeze the biscuit dough.
I find it easiest to cut the shapes out on parchment paper and freeze them.
Once frozen you can transfer the cut biscuits to a freezer bag until you are ready to bake them.
↓(Keep Scrolling to Continue Reading)↓
Here are some other ideas that you may enjoy.
- Gingerbread Cookie Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Easy Eggnog Latte Recipe
- Easy Salt Dough Recipe for Ornaments
- 10 Minute Holiday Cake Pops
- Grinch Paper Bag Puppet Craft DIY
Ingredients needed to make Homemade Blueberry Dog Treats
- Blueberries- 1 cup, frozen, dried, or fresh. No added ingredients please.
- Rolled oats or pet safe granola- 1 cup.
- Whole Wheat Flour- 2 ¼ cups.
- Eggs- 2.
- Unsweetened Peanut Butter- 3 tablespoons.
- Honey- ½ tablespoon or as desired (this can be omitted).
- Warm Tap Water- Up tp ½ cup.
How to make homemade dog treats.
Step 1. Preheat your oven to 350. Prep a baking sheet for nonstick that is safe for pet treat baking.
Step 2. Prepare the blueberries by placing them in a large bowl. You may need to break up any frozen together blueberries as needed. Pull out any stems or unusable pieces.
Step 3. In a large mixing bowl, use a fork or a whisk to blend together the oats (or granola) and flour. Then stir in the eggs, peanut butter and honey. Carefully fold in the blueberries taking care to not over-mix the ingredients.
Step 4. Add as much water as needed to get the dough to to a soft or wet enough consistency to form a shape with. When you add the water do so in small increments as it does not take a lot to get to a good working consistency. Then transfer the dough to a flat work surface that has been lightly floured to roll out the dough to ¼-1/2" thickness and cut into shapes.
Step 5. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until they begin to brown. Allow the biscuits to harden and cool on the cookie sheet before removing.
HOMEMADE BLUEBERRY DOG TREATS
- 1 cup Blueberries -see post for details
- 1 cup Rolled oats or pet safe granola
- 2 ¼ cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 3 tbsp Peanut Butter - unsweetened
- ½ tbsp Honey
- Warm Tap Water
- Preheat the oven to 350 and prep a rimmed baking sheet for nonstick.
- Combine together the oats/granola and flour in a large mixing bowl. Then add the eggs, peanut butter and honey. Gently stir in the blueberries.
- Add as much water as needed to work into a dough. Roll out and cut shapes.
- Bake for 2o-25 minutes or until done. Allow the treats to fully cool before removing them from the baking sheet.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!