How to Make a Macrame Keychain is something that is easy to do and perfect project for that rainy day or summer break free time.
This is a project that can be done by most ages and can actually be used to hold keys (or other items).
Easy Macrame Keychain DIY
This is a fun and decorative keychain that you can make using the macrame knotting technique.
I like that this is a project that kids as well as adults can enjoy doing.
Have you tried Painting Rocks ?
That painting rocks idea is also easy to do and great for most ages. Both this macrame keychain and that rock idea are easy craft ideas.
To make this project you will need hemp cord. You can find a selection of hemp cord here.
Questions often asked about macrame.
Macrame is a considered to be a decorative knotting technique that uses knots to create patterns and designs using various cords or ropes. It has been around for awhile as it originated centuries ago
The basis of macrame art involves knotting cords together to create intricate patterns, designs, and textures. Macrame can be used to make a wide range of items such as wall hangings, plant hangers, jewelry, keychains, curtains, and more.
While opinions can vary, here are some of the more common knots used to make macrame are.
Square Knot: This is one of the foundational knots in macrame as it involves overlapping two cords and crossing them over one another to create a square shape.
Half Hitch Knot: This is used to create diagonal or angled patterns by looping one cord around another and pulling it through to create a knot.
Lark's Head Knot: Commonly used to attach cords to a dowel or ring as it involves folding a cord in half and looping the folded end over the dowel, then pulling the loose ends through the loop and tightening it.
Spiral Knot: This knot creates a twisting effect and is often used to create coiled or spiral designs.
Tips for making a keychain.
When selecting the right help cord, it is important that you select the right one as cords come in a variety of materials, colors, and thicknesses. For a keychain, you will want to use a cord that is not too thick or too thin.
More tips for you.
- Before you start, knotting the cords, make sure that your cords are secure in place. My cords were secured in place using tape. Another good option is to tie the ends to something like a chair le
- Make sure that you are using a sturdy holder for the keys. My keychain is a lobster clasp keychain lanyard.
- This is a nice homemade gift idea. You may want to make a few keychains to give as gifts to friends and family.
Personalize this keychain craft idea.
This keychain craft diy is easy and nice just the way it is.
You can however make yours even better.
Try one of these ideas.
- Use different colored cord to create a unique keychain.
- You can easily add a bead or charm for a touch of personality to your keychain.
- Finish your keychain with a tassel. You can find craft tassels for keychains here.
👇You may also be interested in these ideas!👇
↓(Keep Scrolling to Continue Reading)↓
About this macrame keychain tutorial
Making a macrame keychain is a fun and creative project. We will start by attaching the lobster clasp keychain lanyard to hemp and then knot the hemp to create the keychain.
What can you do with a macrame keychain?
- Actually use it to hold your keys.
- Use it as a bookmark.
- A macrame keychain can be used to hold your phone or other small items.
- Or, you can use a macrame keychain to make a wall hanging.
What you need to make macrame keychains
- O ring holder or lobster clasp keychain lanyard
- Hemp cord for macrame.
- Wooden Beads. Make sure that the holes are large enough to house the hemp.
- You will also need a ruler, scissors, and tape.
How to Make a Macrame Keychain
Step One: prepare for knotting the hemp.
- Measure your hemp, and cut four pieces,each three feet long. (You can do this with a ruler, by measuring out 12 inches, three times, for each piece of hemp you cut.)
- Line the ends of the four pieces of hemp up, then gather them, and then fold them in half.
- Grab the strands by the middle loop, and push the loop through the ring of the keychain, then bring the end strands up, and through the loop, forming a knot (see #2).
- Use a piece of tape to secure the keychain ring to a table or other hard surface to work from (see #3).
Step Two: make your knots.
- Now we will dive into knotting the strands. You will want three strands on the left, two strands in the middle, and three strands on the right (see #3).
- Tape the end of the middle strands together and add a wooden bead (see #4).
- Make a square knot. Take the left strands and cross them over the middle strands to form the number 4, then lay the right strands on top, then up through the loop, and gently pull to tighten to form your first knot.
- Now repeat this same knot starting from the right strands on the other side (see #5).
- Make a second square knot, like in the step above.
- Add a bead (see #6).
Step Three: finish the key chain.
- Make two more square knots.
- Add another bead (see #7).
- Make two more square knots.
- Now measure and cut a 10 inch piece of hemp.
- Make a wrap knot. Take your 10 inch piece of hemp, put one end upwards, and create a small loop (see #8) .
- Grab the longer strand and wrap it around all of the strands of hemp 5 or 6 times, looping downward as you go.
- Put the end through the loop (see #9), grab the small end at the top, and gently pull and tighten them to create the knot (see #10).
- Cut the ends that are sticking out (see #11).
- Now trim the loose ends of the hemp, about 1-2 inches from the bottom of the knot (see #12).
In case you missed it.
- Easy Macrame Keychain DIY
- Questions often asked about macrame.
- Tips for making a keychain.
- Personalize this keychain craft idea.
- About this macrame keychain tutorial
- What you need to make macrame keychains
- How to Make a Macrame Keychain
How to Make a Macrame Keychain, a simple diy craft project idea for most ages featuring knotted cord that can be done in about 30 minutes.
How to Make a Macrame Keychain
- Measure your hemp, and cut four pieces,each three feet long. (You can do this with a ruler, by measuring out 12 inches, three times, for each piece of hemp you cut.) Line the ends of the four pieces of hemp up, then gather them, and then fold them in half. Grab the strands by the middle loop, and push the loop through the ring of the keychain, then bring the end strands up, and through the loop, forming a knot (see #2).
- Make a square knot. then lay the right strands on top, then up through the loop, and gently pull to tighten to form your first knot. Now repeat this same knot starting from the right strands on the other side (see #5). . Make a second square knot, like in the step above. Add a bead (see #6).
- Make a wrap knot . Grab the longer strand and wrap it around all of the strands of hemp 5 or 6 times, looping downward as you go. Put the end through the loop (see #9), grab the small end at the top, and gently pull and tighten them to create the knot (see #10).
- Cut the ends that are sticking out (see #11). Now trim the loose ends of the hemp, about 1-2 inches from the bottom of the knot (see #12).
Thanks so much for visiting!
If you decide to try any of the ideas listed in this article please tag on social media @diyandfun. We like to hear your ideas and suggestions.
DIY and Fun is a website dedicated to providing you with the best DIY projects, crafts, recipes, hiking, and fun ideas that inspire. Whether you're looking for a new way to decorate your home, learn a new skill, or simply have some fun, DIY and Fun has something for everyone.
Here are some additional ways to keep coming back to DIY and Fun:
- Sign up for our email newsletter. We'll send you weekly updates with new projects, inspiration, and more.
- Follow us on social media. We're on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
- Our community forum is coming soon. Share your projects, ask questions, and get inspired by other DIYers.
We hope to see you soon!
-Mary and Mike.