(warning, jumping to recipe can result in missing important information including alternative ingredients and tips. Also, as an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases made via the links on this website.)
Savory Oven Baked Stuffed Pumpkin is an impressive, yet simple recipe idea.
I like how amazing this recipe looks and smells!
Savory Oven Baked Stuffed Pumpkin
This recipe is all about a pumpkin that is stuffed with goodness and then bakes.
Honestly, this stuffed pumpkin recipe idea is a meal in itself.
Did you try my Brown Butter Sweet Potato Pie recipe?
That recipe idea is another great holiday season dessert pie idea.
This recipe for stuffed and baked pie would go nicely together on a holiday dinner table!
Before you stuff the pumpkin with the other ingredients you will need to scoop out the seeds and threads. This step is easier to do when you use a pumpkin scooper like one of these.
You may be wondering what is a sugar pumpkin.
The pumpkin that you will need for this recipe is not your usual carve and display kind of pumpkin.
Instead, we are using a sugar or 'sweet' pumpkin.
There is a difference between the sugar pumpkin and the carving pumpkin.
A sugar pumpkin is a smaller yet, more meaty pumpkin which makes it perfect for baking and cooking with.
The larger carving kind of pumpkin is really good for carving and roasting seeds from.
People often ask what is savory food.
This recipe for oven baked stuffed pumpkin is intended to be savory.
When it comes to this recipe, 'savory' means that it is full of flavors.
How to we get those flavors?
We get the savory flavors from using a variety of foods in the stuffing.
These ingredients work well together when baked and also bring their own special taste to this recipe.
Tips for making this meat stuffed pumpkin recipe.
This pumpkin recipe includes ground sausage.
I suggest going with a more mild sausage in order to keep the flavors in balance with one another.
More tips for you
- Instead of using sausage, you can try using an alternative meat such as a vegan product instead. Make sure that you use one is also mild if you choose to do so.
- It is best that the sausage is not in a casing. If your is in casings, remove the meat and discard the casings before using it in this recipe.
- After the pumpkin has finished baking it will be fragile as it will be softened. If your pumpkin is fragile you cut it into pieces and serve or simply scoop out the insides by scraping off the pumpkin pulp for each serving.
Personalize your savory stuffed pumpkin.
Yes, this baked stuffed pumpkin is great just the way it is.
However, you can even take it up a notch if you choose to.
Try one of these ideas.
- Make this a vegan recipe by using a vegan sausage, vegetable broth, and egg replacers.
- Substitute in raisins for part or all of the dried cranberries.
- Use two different kinds of apples for additional apple flavors.
Be sure to follow DIYandFUN on Facebook and on Pinterest.
I also have a weekly newsletter that you can subscribe to.
↓(Keep Scrolling to Continue Reading)↓
You may also be interested in these ideas.
How to prepare a sweet pumpkin for this recipe.
When selecting a pumpkin for this recipe, look for one that has a good and flat base as it will need to sit up to be baked.
Carefully cut a circle out of the top of the pumpkin, where the stem is, at a 45 degree angle .
Then scoop out the seeds and threads as much as possible. Season the inside of the pumpkin as desired place it on a baking dish. Hold on to the stem piece that you cut off of the pumpkin.
Ingredients needed to make this savory stuffed pumpkin recipe.
- Sugar Pumpkin- 1, prepared as described above.
- Dried Bread Cubes- 3 cups.
- Olive Oil- 1 tablespoon.
- Diced Onion- 1 ½- 2 cups.
- Diced Celery- 1 cup.
- Sausage- 1 pound, ground and mild.
- Apples- 4 cups, peeled and diced.
- Garlic- 2 cloves, minced.
- Chicken Stock- 1 cup.
- Eggs- 2.
- Sage- 1 tablespoon, chopped.
- Rosemary- 1 tablespoon.
- Cranberries- 1 cup, dried.
- Seasonings as desired.
How to make Savory Oven Baked Stuffed Pumpkin.
Step One: Prepare.
Prepare the pumpkin as described above. Season the inside as desired.
Place the prepared pumpkin on a baking dish (I would prep or line with parchment first).
Step Two: Add the ingredients to the pumpkin.
In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the onions and garlic with seasoning. After a minutes, add the celery and continue to cook. Add the sausage to the skillet until the ingredients are browned, stirring as needed.
Once browned, add the apples to the skillet and cook for an additional four minutes, stirring.
Place the bread cubes in a large mixing bowl. Then stir in the cooked ingredients wit the bread crumbs.
Once somewhat combined, mix in the eggs and the broth.
Step Three: bake.
Preheat the oven to 350.
Transfer the mixture from the mixing bowl to the carved pumpkin and top with the dried cranberries.
You can brush additional oil around the outside of the pumpkin,
Bake the oven uncovered until tender, about 90 minutes.
Savory Oven Baked Stuffed Pumpkin, a delicious fall inspired recipe idea that is perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas holidays.
SAVORY OVEN BAKED STUFFED PUMPKIN
- 1 Sugar Pumpkin
- 3 cups Dried Bread Cubes
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil-
- 2 cups Diced Onion
- 1 cup Diced Celery
- 1 lb Sausage
- 4 cups Apples
- 2 Garlic
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Sage-
- 1 tbsp Rosemary-
- 1 cup Cranberries-
- Prepare the pumpkin as described above. Season the inside as desired. Place the prepared pumpkin on a baking dish (I would prep or line with parchment first). In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the onions and garlic with seasoning. After a minutes, add the celery and continue to cook. Add the sausage to the skillet until the ingredients are browned, stirring as needed. Once browned, add the apples to the skillet and cook for an additional four minutes, stirring.Place the bread cubes in a large mixing bowl. Then stir in the cooked ingredients wit the bread crumbs. Once somewhat combined, mix in the eggs and the broth.
- Preheat the oven to 350.Transfer the mixture from the mixing bowl to the carved pumpkin and top with the dried cranberries. You can brush additional oil around the outside of the pumpkin, Bake the oven uncovered until tender, about 90 minutes.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!