25 Great Ideas for a Family Staycation that can be as fun as actually going somewhere.
I like that staycations ideas mean having fun but, without having to spend a lot of money to do so.
25 Great Ideas for a Family Staycation
This is a listing of ideas for taking a family vacation without having to go far.
Staycations are especially nice when you are limited on time or do not want to spend a lot of money,
Did you see my Effective Natural Insect Repellent Ideas?
Natural repellents help keep those bugs away when you are hiking or just outdoors enjoying yourself. Many of these repellents can be made with items that you may already have on hand as well.
Spending time together can be as simple as having a family game night. You can find a selection of family games that may work for you here.
People sometimes ask what is a "staycation"?
"Staycation" really is kind of like a play on words. That is, staycation is both a 'stay' and a 'vacation', hence, 'staycation'
Simply put, a staycation is a vacation that is taken at home.
Well, while you could just spend your staycation at home, you could venture out locally as well. A staycation can also be a nice excuse for visiting local and nearby locations as well.
You may be wondering why would you take a staycation?
First of all, a staycation does not necessarily meant that there is a negative reason for not going out of town. That is, just because you are staying in your own home does not mean you are not going to enjoy your time off.
Here are some reasons why you may want to take a staycation kind of vacation.
A staycation gives you that opportunity to see and do things that you never have time to do but, have always wanted to do. Also, a staycation is a great way to save a few dollars while still having fun.
Tips for taking a vacation at home.
This is one of those family activities that can be more successful when the whole family can get involved with the planning. I suggest that you may want to have a family meeting and discuss dates for your staycation, get suggestions on what to do, talk about a budget, and even assign tasks to family members who want to get involved.
Here is how you can plan your staycation ideas.
- Staycation ideas at home.
- Ideas in your town.
- Staycation ideas nearby.
Staycation ideas at home.
After you have caught up on your sleep and cleaned out a few closets, there are things that you can do at home.
At home ideas for a staycation.
- 1. have some family time. This is your opportunity to do all of those family activities that you keep putting off. These activities may include family puzzle time, reading time, or even card or game playing.
- 2. Plan a family hike. How to make Family Hikes Fun.
- 3. Start a vegetable garden. Here is How to start a Vegetable Garden with Kids.
- 4. Have a family movie night. Here is How to make a Family Movie Night at Home
- 5. Have a 'Glamping' vacation in your backyard. Here is how to DIY Backyard Glamping.
- 6. Go on a nature hike. Here Fun Nature Activities For Kids
- 7. Have a Family Craft Day. See what you have around the house that can be reused as a craft. Or, visit your dollar or discount store for ideas.
- 8. Do a Family Bake-off or bake something as a family. You can have a picnic and enjoy what you have made.
- 9. Virtual Tours can be done at any time from about any place. You can find Free tours here , from around the world here, and National Parks here.
Be sure to follow DIYandFUN on Facebook and on Pinterest.
I also have a weekly newsletter that you can subscribe to.
↓(Keep Scrolling to Continue Reading)↓
You may also be interested in these ideas.
Staycation Ideas in your town.
This is your opportunity to enjoy the town that you live in. You may have heard about a place or passed by somewhere that has sparked your curiosity.
Local staycation ideas.
- 10. Get to know your home town. Visit websites for your park district, chamber of commerce, and visitors bureau to get ideas for what to do as if you are a visitor in your town.
- 11. Have a scavenger hunt at your local mall, park or even neighborhood.
- 12. Check out museums that may be at a local college, business, our government building.
- 13.Check out the local parks that you never get to visit.
- 14.Find a local pool or beach to cool off at.
- 15. Visit a local garden, petting zoo, or farm. Many Local gardens also have gardens for kids.
- 16. Look for free stuff such as free movies or Free Bowling.
Staycation ideas nearby.
Expert tip--> Many zoos and museums have reciprocal agreements with others elsewhere. That is, if you purchase a family membership at your local zoo, that may entitle you to visit other zoos that reciprocate!
- 17. Visit a Children's Museums.
- 18. Spend time at a small theme park. Find Theme Parks by State.
- 19. Check out National Parks that may be nearby.
- 20. OR, visit a State park.
- 21. Check out your state capitol. Find you State Capital
- 22. See a baseball game such as little league or similar kind. Find Minor League Baseball Teams here.
- 23. Check out your State Museums.
- 24. When was the last time that you took a factory tour? Find Factory Tours here.
- 25. Lastly, visit family or friends that you have been planning on visiting but, have not been able to schedule the time to do so.