Creamy Butternut Squash and Turkey Chili can be a meal in itself.
I like how flavorful this recipe is!
Creamy Butternut Squash and Turkey Chili
This is a flavorful chili recipe that is made with turkey.
The butternut squash that is added to this recipe helps to make it so creamy too!
Have you tried my Sheet Pan Roasted Butternut Squash recipe?
That recipe is another tasty way to enjoy butternut squash.
If you have leftover butternut squash from one of my recipes, you could certainly use it in the other one.
This recipe calls for great northern beans. You can find great northern beans here.
This recipe is for anyone asking what do you do with leftover turkey.
Also, this recipe is a great way to use leftover turkey that you may have on hand.
As long as the turkey has been cooked, you can use it in this recipe.
Make this chili recipe even easier.
Use precooked turkey patties instead of regular turkey.
Simply crumble the turkey patties up so that they resemble regular chili meat.
How to make this recipe into a vegan chili.
This butternut squash chili recipe can easily be made vegan.
It simply takes a few ingredient substitutions to do so.
Here is how to make this recipe vegan.
- Use vegan or plant based sausage rather than turkey sausage.
- Use vegetable broth rather than chicken broth.
- And, use coconut cream instead of the heavy cream.
Tips for making turkey chili.
I am using great northern beans as these beans will make the soup extra hearty. Feel free to use another bean if desired.
More tips for you
- While this is a butternut squash recipe, you could sub in something else. Diced pumpkin or potatoes could also work in this recipe.
- The easiest way to make this recipe is to use precooked turkey patties, as I have mentioned. If you decide to use another turkey or meat product, please make sure that it is precooked first.
- Kale is also added to this recipe for added crunch. While this recipe calls for the traditional kale, you could easily use another kind of kale or similar green.
Personalize your turkey chili.
This recipe is great just the way it is.
However, you could make it even better.
Try one of these ideas.
- Add traditional chili seasonings to give this a more 'chili' taste.
- To make a thicker chili, simply cut back on the amount of broth that is added. This thin this out, add additional broth.
- Once this chili has been sautéed in the Dutch oven, you can transfer it to a slow cooker and set it on low if desired.
You may also be interested in these ideas.
About this recipe for butternut squash and turkey chili.
This is a simple recipe for chili that is made on a stove.
You can use leftover cooked turkey or crumbled precooked turkey patties to make this recipe.
This recipe can be made vegan.
I gave ingredient substitution ideas above for a vegan recipe.
If you are not using precooked turkey patties or another similar precooked ingredient, you may need to balance out the ingredients for flavor as needed.
Ingredients needed to make this turkey and squash chili.
- Olive Oil- 1 tablespoon.
- Onion- 1 small, diced.
- Carrot- 1 large, diced.
- Celery- 1 stalk, diced.
- Garlic- 2 cloves, minced.
- Thyme- 1 teaspoon, minced, fresh preferred.
- Butternut Squash- 2 cups, diced (fresh or thawed from frozen).
- Northern Beans- 1 can (15-16 oz). The beans should be drained and rinsed.
- Turkey Sausage Patties- 1 package (10 ounces) precooked. The turkey patties should be crumbled up to resemble chili meat. I gave alternatives above.
- Chicken Broth- 2 ½ cups.
- Heavy Cream- ½ cup.
- Kale- 2 cups, chopped.
How to make Butternut Squash and Turkey Chili
Step One: sauté the ingredients.
In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil on medium. Then add the onion, carrot, and celery and sauté for three minutes, stirring. After three minutes of sautéing, stir in the garlic and thyme and cook for one more minute.
Step Two: add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
Add the butternut squash, the beans, crumbled sausage and the broth the the stock pot or Dutch oven.
Bring the chili to a boil and then turn the heat down to medium-low to simmer for 10 minutes.
Lastly, stir in the heavy cream and cook for another two minutes or until the kale has wilted,
To make this in a slow cooker, transfer the ingredients to the slow cooker before stirring in the heavy cream. Add the heavy cream while in the slow cooker. The kale can be stirred in just before serving.
Step Three: serve the chili.
Serve the butternut chili topped with your favorite garnishes. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Creamy Butternut Squash and Turkey Chili. An easy and delicious chili recipe made with butternut squash and turkey. Vegan option.
Creamy Butternut Squash and Turkey Chili
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil on medium. Then add the onion, carrot, and celery and sauté for three minutes, stirring. After three minutes of sautéing, stir in the garlic and thyme and cook for one more minute. Add the butternut squash, the beans, crumbled sausage and the broth the the stock pot or Dutch oven. Bring the chili to a boil and then turn the heat down to medium-low to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Lastly, stir in the heavy cream and cook for another two minutes or until the kale has wilted and serve.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!