Easy Salt Dough Recipe for Ornaments that takes only three ingredients to make.
This Christmas craft idea is suitable for most ages as well!
Salt Dough Recipe for Ornaments
This is a simple way to make keepsakes such as ornaments.
Make these salt dough ornaments to keep or to give away as gifts!
Did you see my recipe for How to Make Edible Play Dough?
Edible play dough is another fun idea especially for kids. This recipe for salt dough is something that I would not recommend eating however.
Make these ornaments even better looking by using cookie cutters to cut the dough out! You can find a selection of holiday cookie cutters here.
Frequently Asked Questions About Salt Dough.
Salt dough is a simple recipe idea made from flour, water, and salt.
This dough is simple to make and is most often used for making crafts with.
Salt dough should be baked slowly and in a warm oven.
One the dough has set, the salt dough can be painted, decorated, and/or sealed.
Well, in this craft idea, we are making ornaments for the holiday season.
However, there are other craft ideas that can be made using salt dough.
🟠Hand Prints to preserve memories with.
🟡Paw prints from favorite pets.
🟢Simple sculptures as gift ideas.
Tips for making homemade ornaments from dough.
Salt dough is like any other kind of flour dough in that adjustments may be needed to get the right mix. If your dough seems too wet you can add additional flour and if your dough seems too dry, try adding a bit more water. Both water and flour should be added in small increments as well.
More tips for you
- When mixing your dough, there will be a point when you will need to use your hands. If you have any open wounds or cuts, it may be a good idea to wear gloves.
- When rolling out your dough, I find that it is easiest to do when the dough is between two pieces of parchment paper. Not only will the parchment paper help prevent sticking, the bottom piece can be used as your workspace.
- The baking time that is needed for ornaments can vary do to how thick your ornaments are. You can tell that your ornaments are done baking when they are dry and hard.
- While this is a great craft idea for most ages, some folks may need a bit of assistance as needed. This is especially true when it comes to cutting out the dough and painting.
Personalize your homemade salt dough ornaments.
This craft idea is perfect especially for little ones to help out with.
Kids can make this project even better.
Try one of these ideas.
- Paint the dried and cooled ornaments using craft paint.
- Use a permanent marker to write words such as names or dates on the ornaments.
- Seal the finished ornaments with a craft sealer such as Mod Podge.
👇You may also be interested in these ideas!👇
↓(Keep Scrolling to Continue Reading)↓
About salt dough ornaments.
Salt dough ornament are a very creative way to make homemade holiday creations.
These ornaments are also relatively inexpensive to make as well.
To make this craft idea we will start by making the dough.
After making the dough we will roll it out and cut out the ornaments. Lastly, we will bake the ornaments until they are set.
Ingredients needed to make DIY salt dough ornaments.
- Flour. Basic all purpose flour works fine.
- Salt. Regular table salt is great in this recipe.
- Warm water. Tap warm water.
- You will also need parchment paper, a rolling pin, cookie cutters, a straw/toothpick/sucker stick, paint, and sealer if desired.
How to make Easy Salt Dough Recipe for Ornaments
Step One: prepare the dough.
To make the dough, combine together the flour, salt, and water mixing by hand. When you are no longer able to stir the mixture, use your hands to finish ny kneading the dough. Make adjustments in ingredients as needed.
Expert Tip👉 The ideal dough for this project is somewhat sticky yet, soft enough to work with.
Step Two: make the shapes.
- Divide the dough in half so that you can work with half of the dough at a time. Also, you will need three pieces of parchment paper that are a bit larger than the size of the pan that you will be baking the ornaments on. Preheat your oven to 250.
- Place the first half of dough on top of one of the pieces of parchment paper and then cover the dough with a second piece of parchment paper.
- Roll the dough out to about a quarter to a half inch thick. Then remove the top piece of parchment, saving it to use again on the second half of dough.
- To make the hole in the ornaments, use a straw, or similar sized object, to poke a hole in the top of each ornament.
- Use your cookie cutters to cut out the ornaments and then peel away the excess dough from the parchment.
- Lift the parchment paper with the ornaments and carefully transfer it to the baking sheet.
- Repeat this process with the remaining dough.
Step Three: finish making the ornaments.
Allow the ornaments to bake until set, checking about every 20 minutes or as needed. After removing the baked ornaments from the oven, allow them to fully cool. Paint, decorate, and seal as desired if desired.
Expert Tip 👉 depending on the size of your ornaments, the baking process can take from and hour and a half to a few hours. Be patient.
Table of contents for this idea.
- Salt Dough Recipe for Ornaments
- Frequently Asked Questions About Salt Dough.
- Tips for making homemade ornaments from dough.
- Personalize your homemade salt dough ornaments.
- About salt dough ornaments.
Easy Salt Dough Recipe for Ornaments, a simple three ingredient do it yourself Christmas craft idea. Suitable for Most Ages.
Easy Salt Dough Recipe for Ornaments
- To make the dough, combine together the flour, salt, and water mixing by hand. When you are no longer able to stir the mixture, use your hands to finish ny kneading the dough. Make adjustments in ingredients as needed.
- Roll the dough out and cut out the shapes using cookie cutters.
- Bake the ornaments until set. This will depend on the size of your ornaments. Allow the ornaments to fully cool.