(warning, jumping to recipe can result in missing important information including alternative ingredients and tips. Also, as an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases made via the links on this website.)
Air Fryer Tater Tot Casserole that is both a perfect comfort food and easy to make!
Made with just five ingredients, this casserole is incredibly filling and satisfying!
Easy Air Fryer Tater Tot Casserole.
This simple casserole feature crunchy potatoes that are perfectly soft in the center and topped with cheese.
Even better, those potatoes are on top of flavorful moist meat that has been comfortably combined with creamy soup.
Did you try my Air Fryer Pizza Rose Recipe?
That pizza rose recipe is also a simple version of a favorite comfort food. Like with this recipe, that recipe is made in an air fryer.
My tater tot casserole was made in a basic egg-shaped air fryer. You can find a selection of air fryers at good prices here.
Frequently asked questions about tater tots.
"Tater tot" is the commonly used name for a potato product.
Tater tots are commonly made with grated potatoes and are then formed into a small bite-sized cylinder.
These bite sized potatoes can be fried or baked and served with ketchup or a favorite dip. Perhaps the most popular reason for serving tater tots is the convenience of doing so as they are sold prepackaged in the freezer section at your local grocery store.
A tater tot casserole is a layered dish that is made with tater tots and other ingredients. It can be served as a meal or as an appetizer.
Common ingredients added to a tater tot casserole include:
🟣Cooked ground beef with some kind of gravy or sauce.
🟡Vegetables such as onions.
Tips for making a tater tot casserole.
My tater tot casserole was made in an air fryer baking dish. A baking dish makes for an easier clean up (IMO) and also makes it easier to cover and store.
More tips for you
- I am all for making this a vegan casserole. To do so you can omit the beef or use a vegan beef alternative, sub in a vegan creamy soup, and then top the casserole with vegan cheese.
- Already have cooked ground beef, maybe from a leftover? Use that and skip the skillet steps.
- This is the perfect recipe to share for a gathering or game day celebration. Serve it with chips on the side and use a taco seasoning for your beef.
- This is one recipe that I would consider using a quick spray of nonstick for the air fryer basket. Another option is to use a sturdy basket liner.
How to make tater tot casserole even better.
This tater tot recipe is amazing just the way it is.
However, you can make yours even better.
Try one of these ideas.
- Skip the meat and soup and just use the tots with your favorite seasonings.
- Instead of tater tots, use another kind of tots such as cauliflower tots.
- Use breakfast meat ad top these tots with bacon to serve for breakfast.
👇You may also be interested in these ideas!👇
↓(Keep Scrolling to Continue Reading)↓
About this tater tot casserole recipe.
This is a simple potato tater tot recipe that is made in an air fryer.
It is perfect for serving as a meal or as an appetizer.
To make this recipe we will first have to cook the meat using your choice of method for doing so (mine beef was cooked in a skillet).
After cooking the meat we will combine it with the soup. Then we will layer the ingredients in the air fryer to finish the recipe.
Ingredients needed to make air fried tater tot casserole.
- Ground Beef. Your choice on what kind of beef. Besides ground beef, you can use another kind of meat or a vegan alternative instead.
- Seasonings. Seasonings as desired. Mine was seasoned with Paprika, Salt, and also Pepper.
- Condensed Soup. My tots were made with a 10.5 ounce can of cream of mushroom soup. However, you can similarly use another condensed soup.
- Tater Tots. The air fryer used to make my casserole was able to hold 76 tater tots.
- Optional- milk or water if needed to further thin out the soup.
How to make air fryer tater tot casserole.
Air Fryer Tater Tot Casserole (Yields 4 servings)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Step One cook the beef.
Start by cooking the beef using your chosen method. My beef was cooked using a skillet on a stove. You can use your method of your choice.
When the meat is done cooking, you can then stir in the soup and seasonings before setting it aside.
Expert tip👉 Cook the meat until it is almost done. It will thus, finish cooking in the air fryer, making it perfect for this recipe!
Step Two: cook the tater tots.
Start by placing your tater tots into your air fryer basket standing up. Then you can cook your tots at 400 or until crisp (about seven to eight minutes in my fryer).
Expert Tip 👉My casserole was made in a basic egg shaped air fryer. Depending on the kind of air fryer your are using, you may need to make adjustments as needed.
Step Three: finish making the tater tot casserole.
Next, carefully spoon the meat and soup mixture over the tater tots. Then you can return the basket to your air fryer and continue to cook your ingredients for another three minutes. Lastly, add the cheese layer and cook until the cheese begins to melt (about three more minutes).
Expert tip 👉Store your leftovers in an airtight container. Finally, if properly stored, it should keep for a few days refrigerated or about a month frozen.
In case you missed it..
Air Fryer Tater Tot Casserole, a simple and delicious comfort food meal or appetizer recipe made in an air fryer.
Air Fryer Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 2 tsp Seasonings - see post for details
- 10.5 Condensed Soup - see post for details
- 16 oz Tater Tots - or the amount that can fit into your air fryer.
- Cook the meat until just about done (slightly pink).
- When the meat is done cooking, stir in the soup and seasonings and then set it aside.
- Place the tater tots into your basket standing up. Then cook the tots at 400 until crisp (about seven to eight minutes in my fryer).
- Carefully spoon the meat and soup mixture over the tater tots. Return the basket to the air fryer and cook for another three minutes.
- Next, add the cheese layer and cook until the cheese begins to melt (about three more minutes).
Also, please see the actual recipe post for further details on this recipe. Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that are used. See DiyandFun.com for details on this recipe.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!
Thanks so much for visiting!
If you decide to try any of the ideas listed in this article please tag on social media @diyandfun. We like to hear your ideas and suggestions.
DIY and Fun is a website dedicated to providing you with the best DIY projects, crafts, recipes, hiking, and fun ideas that inspire. Whether you're looking for a new way to decorate your home, learn a new skill, or simply have some fun, DIY and Fun has something for everyone.
Here are some additional ways to keep coming back to DIY and Fun:
- Sign up for our email newsletter. We'll send you weekly updates with new projects, inspiration, and more.
- Follow us on social media. We're on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
- Our community forum is coming soon. Share your projects, ask questions, and get inspired by other DIYers.
We hope to see you soon!
-Mary and Mike.