(warning, jumping to recipe can result in missing important information including alternative ingredients and tips. Also, as an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases made via the links on this website.)
Peanut Butter and Cookie Krispie Treats are a nice alternative to the usual cereal treats.
These no bake cereal treats are crunchy and sweet with plenty of peanut butter flavoring thanks to the peanut butter chips that are added to it..
No bake Peanut Butter and Cookie Krispie Treats.
This recipe is a flavorful variation on the popular Rice Krispie Treat recipe.
Adding cookie chunks to these peanut butter treats really takes this recipe up a flavor-notch!
Did you try my recipe for Cookies and Cream Rice Krispies Treats ?
That krispie treat recipe has chunks of sandwich cookies added to it along with a candy melt topping. Both this and that recipe for krispie treats feature cookies as a flavor and a crunch element to make the usual krispie treat recipe even better!
Peanut butter chips are added to these treats for a creamy and tasty punch of flavor in these treats. You can find a selection of peanut butter chips here.
Frequently asked questions about homemade Krispie Treat Bars.
Technically, Rice Krispie Treats, a cereal bar made with marshmallows, is made with actual Rice Krispie cereal.
This is because the recipe itself is said to be their idea, using their cereal.
However, there are so many variations on the original recipe, some even using variations of their rice cereal. As a result, just about any kind of cereal can be made into a cereal bar with marshmallows.
Well, using fresh ingredients, such as fresh marshmallows and cereal, can help.
As can storing your cereal bars in an airtight container at room temperature.
If your krispie treats get hard, you can try adding a slice of bread to the container as the bread will offer a bit of moisture. Some folks will microwave bars for a few seconds to try and soften up the marshmallows as well (I have not tried this).
Tips for making great tasting krispie treats.
I like to line my baking dish with parchment paper that overhangs the sides of the baking dish. Doing this makes for both an easier clean up and for more accurate cutting the treats into servings.
More tips for you
- The size of your baking dish has an effect on the size of your treats. For example, use a 6X6" baking dish for taller treats or a 9X9" dish for average sized treats.
- Use fresh marshmallows as well as real butter for better quality treats. Fresh marshmallows will melt better for that gooey texture that folks expect and actual butter is perfect for both flavor and moisture.
- You can use about any cookie of your choice for this recipe. I like something as simple as animal crackers, graham crackers, or gingersnaps as they complement the crunch and flavor of the treats rather than dominate.
- Leftover krispie treats can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to five days. While you could freeze these treats (and heat up in a microwave), I do not recommend refrigerating them as they will get too hard to enjoy.
How to make krispie treat even better.
These krispie rice cereal treats are amazing, thanks to how well the added flavors work together.
You can however make yours even better.
Try one of these ideas.
- Use regular chocolate chips rather than the peanut butter ones that were used to make my treats.
- Instead of using a rice cereal, use another cereal or use another cereal with the rice cereal.
- While you can omit the cookies, another option is to use broken up pretzels or nuts with or without the cookies for that added crunchy element.
👇You may also be interested in these ideas!👇
↓(Keep Scrolling to Continue Reading)↓
About this recipe for Rice Cereal Krispie Treats with Peanut Butter.
This recipe for cereal and marshmallow bars is based upon the standard Rice Krispie Treat recipe. Like the standard recipe, this bar recipe uses melted marshmallows that are combined with rice cereal.
This is a no bake bar recipe that can be made in a square baking dish.
Cookies are chopped into chunks to give these cookies an added complementary flavor and crunch. Peanut butter baking chips are added to the bars for a peanut butter taste.
Ingredients needed to make Krispie treats with peanut butter chips and cookies.
- Butter. Use salted butter for better flavor.
- Peanut Butter. You can simply add two tablespoons of extra butter instead of the peanut butter if desired.
- Marshmallows. Mini marshmallows melt more evenly than regular sized ones.
- Puffed rice cereal. Rice Krispie Cereal is the standard but, you can use the cereal of your choice.
- Cookies. Use a one flavor crunchy cookie such as graham crackers, animal crackers, or gingersnaps. The cookies should be chopped or crushed into chunks.
- Peanut Butter Chips. These chips will be melted into the bars when combined with the other ingredients.
- Vanilla Extract. Pure vanilla extract is preferred.
How to make Peanut Butter and Cookie Krispie Treats.
Step One: prepare.
Prep a baking dish well for nonstick. I like to use parchment paper or grease the baking dish well.
Step Two: heat ingredients.
You can use the microwave or stove method to melt together the butter and marshmallows in these treats. For the stove method, melt the butter over medium heat in a large saucepan and the stir in the peanut butter, marshmallows, and vanilla extract, stirring until fully combined.
For the microwave method, simple use a large microwave-safe bowl to melt the marshmallows and butter for 90 seconds or until melted together. Then stir in the the peanut butter and vanilla.
Step Three: finish making the treats.
Once the heated ingredients have been melted together, you can stir in the peanut butter chips and the cookies. The peanut butter chips should be allowed to melt. Stir in the cereal, a half at a time. Then transfer the ingredients to the prepared baking dish, gently pressing the ingredients into the dish. Let the treats set for about a half hour before slicing into servings.
Expert Tip👉 Melted marshmallows can be tricky to work with when you are mixing it with other ingredients. Try spraying your hands or a rubber spatula with nonstick spray to make this task easier to do.
In case you missed something.
- No bake Peanut Butter and Cookie Krispie Treats.
- Frequently asked questions about homemade Krispie Treat Bars.
- Tips for making great tasting krispie treats.
- How to make krispie treat even better.
- About this recipe for Rice Cereal Krispie Treats with Peanut Butter.
Peanut Butter and Cookie Krispie Treats, a simple and delicious no bake dessert recipe featuring rice cereal, marshmallows, and cookies.
Peanut Butter and Cookie Krispie Treats
- Prep a baking dish well for nonstick.
- For the stove method, melt the butter over medium heat in a large saucepan and then stir in the peanut butter, marshmallows, and vanilla extract, stirring until fully combined.
- Once the heated ingredients have been melted together, you can stir in the peanut butter chips and the cookies. The peanut butter chips should be allowed to melt.
- Stir in the cereal, a half at a time. Then transfer the ingredients to the prepared baking dish, gently pressing the ingredients into the dish.
- Let the treats set for about a half hour before slicing into servings.
Also, please see the actual recipe post for further details on this recipe. Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that are used. See DiyandFun.com for details on this recipe.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!
Thanks so much for visiting!
If you decide to try any of the ideas listed in this article please tag on social media @diyandfun. We like to hear your ideas and suggestions.
DIY and Fun is a website dedicated to providing you with the best DIY projects, crafts, recipes, hiking, and fun ideas that inspire. Whether you're looking for a new way to decorate your home, learn a new skill, or simply have some fun, DIY and Fun has something for everyone.
Here are some additional ways to keep coming back to DIY and Fun:
- Sign up for our email newsletter. We'll send you weekly updates with new projects, inspiration, and more.
- Follow us on social media. We're on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
- Our community forum is coming soon. Share your projects, ask questions, and get inspired by other DIYers.
We hope to see you soon!
-Mary and Mike.