Easy Rocky Road Krispie Treats is really a tasty treat.
I like that this yummy recipe tastes like chocolate marshmallow goodness in crunch cereal!
Rocky Road Rice Krispie Treats
This recipe for a classic idea with a twist is sure to please.
If you like the chocolate, marshmallows and everything expected in rocky road, then you will probably like this too!
Did you try my Carrot Cake Rice Krispie Treats ?
Those Rice Krispie treats are perfect for anyone who is a fan of carrot cake. Both this recipe for chocolatey krispie treats and that carrot cake krispie treat would go nicely when served together!
Make this even better by using colorful marshmallows. You can find a selection of colorful mini marshmallows here.
Rocky Road is an especially popular ice cream flavor. However, you will also find Rocky Road cookies, cakes, and well, Krispie Treats.
Rocky Road is chocolate based. It is then enhanced with chopped nuts (almonds or walnuts for example) and marshmallows.
Krispie treats, or Rice Krispie Treats, is a simple dessert recipe made with marshmallows and cereal.
The marshmallows are melted and then the cereal is stirred in before pressing the ingredients into a baking dish to set. It is said that that the recipe was originally developed by the folks who make Rice Krispie Cereal.
Tips for making good Rice Krispie Treats.
While these treats are made with Rice Krispie Cereal, you can really use any cereal of your choice.
I would suggest however, that you use a cereal that does not have a lot of flavor there is plenty of flavor going into this recipe.
More tips for you
- Using fresh marshmallows is essential to the success of any Rice Krispies Treat recipe!
This is because stale or older marshmallows can cause the treats to get hard.
- While my treats are made with peanut butter, you can use any nut butter of your choice. I like almond butter for this recipe too!
- Line the pan with parchment paper that overhangs the sides of the pan. This will not only make the clean up easier, it will help you with removing the finished treats for cutting.
Personalize your rocky road dessert.
These krispie treats are yummy just the way they are.
However, you can make your krispie treats even better.
Try one of these ideas.
- Add a layer of frosting to your cooled treats.
- Sprinkle some colorful sprinkles on top.
- Add a salty and crunchy element such as pretzels or crackers to your treats.
↓(Keep Scrolling to Continue Reading)↓
You may also be interested in these ideas.
About this tasty Rice Krispie Treat recipe.
This chocolate flavored dessert treat is based upon two delicious recipe ideas.
While this is made as a flavorful Rice Krispie Treat, it is also flavored like Rocky Road.
When can you serve this Rocky Road treat?
- A special dessert along with a scoop of ice cream.
- Individually wrapped for an outing or bake sale.
- On a sucker or similar stick and served as a krispie pop.
Ingredients needed to make krispie treats.
- Butter. The butter should be softened to room temperature. You can also use extra butter to grease your pan.
- Marshmallows. Miniature marshmallows work best in this recipe.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder This is used to make the treats chocolatey but, without adding extra sweetness..
- Peanut Butter. Smooth peanut butter works best in this recipe.
- Rice Cereal. The actual Rice Krispie Cereal is the most commonly used cereal.
- Walnuts. Use chopped walnuts for this recipe.
- Chocolate Chips. Milk chocolate chips work best in this recipe.
How to make Easy Rocky Road Krispie Treats
Yields: 9 squares
Prep time: 15 – 20 minutes
Setting Time: One hour.
Step One: prepare.
Begin by greasing a 9x9 square pan with softened butter.
Expert tip👉 Grease the backside of your spatula with soft butter or nonstick to prevent the marshmallows from sticking.
Step Two: melt the marshmallows.
- In a microwave using a microwave safe bowl or in a saucepan on medium heat, melt the marshmallows. However, you can also use the directions on the packaging if needed.
- Once the marshmallows have melted you can remove the melted marshmallows from the heat and stir in the cocoa powder until blended.
- Then fold in the cereal in the cereal followed by the remaining ingredients.
Step Three: finish making the treats.
Using the backside of a rubber spatula, press the ingredients into the prepared baking dish. Allow the treats to set before slicing (about an hour).
Easy Rocky Road Krispie Treats, a simple no bake recipe for a tasty dessert treat featuring Cereal, chocolate, and marshmallows.
Easy Rocky Road Krispie Treats
- Prep a square baking dish for nonstick. I like to use parchment paper however, old fashion greasing with butter works as well.
- In a microwave using a microwave safe bowl or in a saucepan on medium heat, melt the marshmallows using the directions on the packaging if needed.Once the marshmallows have melted you can remove the melted marshmallows from the heat and stir in the cocoa powder until blended.Then fold in the cereal in the cereal followed by the remaining ingredients.
- Using the backside of a rubber spatula, press the ingredients into the prepared baking dish. Allow the treats to set before slicing (about an hour).
Also, please see the actual recipe post for further details on this recipe. Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that are used. See DiyandFun.com for details on this recipe.
originally posted:August 27, 2022
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!
You may be interested in these ideas.
Table of contents for this recipe.
- Rocky Road Rice Krispie Treats
- Tips for making good Rice Krispie Treats.
- Personalize your rocky road dessert.
- About this tasty Rice Krispie Treat recipe.